Sign in to follow this  

Need Your Opinion

I am ready to get back in to motocross and I would like your opinion as to where you think I should start based on where I am at: I learned to ride on an xr80, moved up to a kx80, and then rode at cr125 till the age of 16. Sold the bike at 16 to get a car and quit riding motocross since. I am now 24 and looking to get back into mx and possibly even do a little racing. With that said, I have never ridden a modern 4 stroke dirt bike but have ridden the 450 mx atvs. Anyways, now that I am done with college and all that BS I am ready to ride again and would like some opinions as to where you guys think I should start bike wise? I am leaning towards saying f**k it and just buying a new yz450f and diving right in head first. Would this be a bad place to start since I haven't ridden in roughly 8 years? Should I start with a 250f? I am 6'0 180lbs and was a novice rider when I quit? Where do I start?

IMHO if you haven't ridden in 8 years and stopped as a novice I'd say you should get a 250f or a 2t 125 if you want to save money(2t's are cheaper to own/maintain)

IMHO if you haven't ridden in 8 years and stopped as a novice I'd say you should get a 250f or a 2t 125 if you want to save money(2t's are cheaper to own/maintain)

I'm with 140 here, go with a 250F instead of the 450F. When I first started riding it was on a KX250F.

i did close to what you are saying but i started with a 250 2T and then jumped to the 450 after a few months. Part of me wishes i had gone with a 250F and learned turning and other aspects better before jumping to a 450. so i would say go with the 250F and get your confidence back then head up the the 450. and defenitly dont buy a new bike till right of the bat, find a good low hour used bike, youll thank yourself for doing it the first time you mess something up and have some money left to fix it.

Very similer story from me, I quit riding at 16 and got back into it at 23. My first bike getting back in was a CR250, ended up selling it after about a year and 2 races to get a YZ125. Now i'm on a 250f after taking an 8 year break to go roadracing and am completely happy with it, just taking a little to get used to. Oh ya, same height and 10 pounds less than you.

if you rode a cr 125 well you must have skill, where you a good rider

i'd say stay with what you know a get a yz 250 or yz 125

thanks for the reply's guys. I am leaning towards a new 2010 rmz250 if i can find one!

Get a YZ250F four strokes are where its at now a days..in my opinion. That would be a great step towards the 450F which is what you will want in a year or so.:thumbsup:

you would probably be able to ride a 450 fine but Id personally go with a 250f. Im really fast on a 450 until I get a little to comfortable and stall it, sometimes in mid air...all bad.

anyways good luck.