Sign in to follow this  

DR650 running again - winter repairs and upgrades

I finally got the engine back together after tearing into it because of a leaking cylinder base gasket. I considered a high-comp piston while it was apart but I ultimately put the engine back together with just a new set of piston rings.

I spent a bucket of cash on a few other upgrades though: TM-40 carb, Continental Twinduro TKC-80 tires, front and rear springs, SS brake cable, polished SS engine bolt kit, and a few other little treats.

I was very pleased when I hit the start button and heard it light up almost immediately.

Went for a quick ride around the neighbourhood this evening and it's working great. The TM-40 rocks ! Throttle input seems much more responsive. The carb --along with the stiffer rear spring-- has made the front tire a whole lot lighter. Without even adjusting so much as the idle, it seems to run extremely well.

Great to hear!! A pumper carb is probably the single best upgrade that can be done on the DR, or any big bore thumper for that matter.

Yeah, I've read that before. I took it easy for the first 60 seconds after I pulled out of the driveway, then it was riding as usual, hammering it at every opportunity. I don't really keep this big single up at the red line, but I do enjoy launching hard and accelerating quickly.

It's only bee a couple of days but the new TM-40 is the answer for this bike. It's pure awesomeness, and I haven't done any fine tuning yet.

Heres a good read about seating new rings :thumbsup:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

but the new TM-40 is the answer for this bike. It's pure awesomeness, and I haven't done any fine tuning yet.

I'm running the TM33 on my both DR's......... Best bolt on performance mod available :thumbsup: