Anyone having problems with their GoPro Camera?

I have a new gopro with the motorsports kit. I had two different bases break as though the plastic was way too brittle. One mount was unused (broke in my living room while putting the camera housing in it to play with helmet mounting options--one of the snap buckles broke off). The other broke after being used on my daughter's bike in the house, about 40 minutes of useage (when I unscrewed the mount from the housing, one of the 3 tabs fell off with the screw even while the camera housing was loose enough to where it would easily swivel). I contacted GoPro through their website via their form as there is no phone number anywhere. I got the automated response, and nothing else in 10 days. I've sent two or three follow-ups per the automated email, but nothing.

I'm really disappointed b/c I was starting to like this camera, in spite of the not-so-user friendly interface. The video quality is good, and the mounting options are great. It's fun to use. But with the mounts breaking like this, I'm afraid to put the thing on my helmet and go riding, for fear that I will stop and it will be missing. If it can't handle a 3yr old girl's Dora bike, how can you expect it to stand up for my intended use?

I'm also disappointed in the customer service from GoPro. I had heard of hardware problems, but that the customer service was really good. I love buying from US companys with good customer service.

Anybody else having mount breakage problems?? I thought it was a freak thing and marked it up to my bad luck until the second mount broke w/o cause. Anybody know how to contact GoPro besides their webpage? Phone number??

I have a new gopro with the motorsports kit. I had two different bases break as though the plastic was way too brittle. One mount was unused (broke in my living room while putting the camera housing in it to play with helmet mounting options--one of the snap buckles broke off). The other broke after being used on my daughter's bike in the house, about 40 minutes of useage (when I unscrewed the mount from the housing, one of the 3 tabs fell off with the screw even while the camera housing was loose enough to where it would easily swivel). I contacted GoPro through their website via their form as there is no phone number anywhere. I got the automated response, and nothing else in 10 days. I've sent two or three follow-ups per the automated email, but nothing.

I'm really disappointed b/c I was starting to like this camera, in spite of the not-so-user friendly interface. The video quality is good, and the mounting options are great. It's fun to use. But with the mounts breaking like this, I'm afraid to put the thing on my helmet and go riding, for fear that I will stop and it will be missing. If it can't handle a 3yr old girl's Dora bike, how can you expect it to stand up for my intended use?

I'm also disappointed in the customer service from GoPro. I had heard of hardware problems, but that the customer service was really good. I love buying from US companys with good customer service.

Anybody else having mount breakage problems?? I thought it was a freak thing and marked it up to my bad luck until the second mount broke w/o cause. Anybody know how to contact GoPro besides their webpage? Phone number??

Nope, I haven't had any troubles with the mounting brackets. I put the camera on an R/C car and flipped her down the back of my hill. And it was perfect! And, I've takin' a few little diggers and it was fine.

while i havent had the mount breaking issue i like you have had crappy customer service also. i emailed them about 7 days ago and have gotten no response. while im hoping my issue will be resolved by a new storage card, im most likely not buying from them if this is the service i get when i have a problem with something. let us know if you ever get a reply.

I had my J-Hook break when i was first testing my camera(the clips you squeeze to slide it in and out of the mounts) , i emailed them and it was the next day they replied with the email i put below , once i sent them the info they mailed me 2 replacements and i had them within 3 days , then i noticed the clicking sound when using the camera (the clip moves inside the mount when you jump or hit harsh bumps) so i inquired about the "Orange Doohicky"(that is what it is called) to stop the noises(it comes with the HD cameras but not the regular wide ) , they sent me 2 *free* , and i had them within 3 days

I was Very impressed with their customer support , that is real strange that you have not heard back from them

This was the email they sent to me

Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear about the broken Jhook mount.

Could you please reply with a photo of the broken Jhook buckle, the serial number located inside the camera’s battery compartment, and your mailing address. Once we hear back, we'll get a replacement shipped out to you under warranty. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Many thanks,

GoPro Support

http://www.gopro.com/support

Wow! That is exactly what I was wondering. So you had an immediate satisfactory response to the same problem! Yet another person is waiting a response during this exact same time frame. Well, maybe they are having an office problem or otherwise. I hope that is the case. If it is, I will certainly post here. I would love to give good news about my experience. I really do want this camera to work out.

How many other mounts broke? Anyone loose their camera as a result? That is my fear of using the camera now.

GoPro got back to me today, saying they will replace defective mounts. It looks like they are just behind in getting back to people? Probably should take down the bit about getting back to people withing 48 hours. I assumed I had been written off. Anyhow, it looks like they stand behind their product. As I have stated, any product will have problems occasionally, that is to be expected. If a company stands behind their product, that is a good company.

I will also look into Ram mounts. I really want to be able to use this camera confidently.

I had one mount break, one of the little "ears" broke off same as yours.

I had a new mount in about 2 weeks, but went about it a different way.

Shop I bought the camera from showed it to our area Tucker Rocky wholesale rep, "I'll take care of it" he says, 2 weeks later, a whole bag of new mounts.

Always good to have connections.?

Once i got my new Jhook i put it on along with the Orange Doohicky(i reccomend it to get rid of the annoying click/snap when you hit a hard edge or jump) i have not had a problem since , i only use the Jhook mount because i mount mine on the faceplate of the helmet and that is the only mount that works there

img5739m.jpg

Same setup that I use (except for the wood screws attaching mine:smirk:). I like the rubber bumper idea too, will look into something like that for mine.

• 1 year later...

This happened to me too! I was actually wake-boarding and I almost got on top of the water before I fell right back in and the little extension arm (I think that's what it is called but I am not sure) snapped and left 2 pieces in the quick release (was attached to helmet). We had not even built up any speed yet. I think the plastic I had was very brittle like yours was or something because I have seen so many videos of people hitting the ground, walls, etc. with their GoPro's on and nothing happened to the GoPro. Mine was just in water and it was not a very hard wipeout.

I contacted GoPro and they responded and told me to send pictures of what I had. I did and have not had a response from them for almost a week. I'm sure they are pretty busy with the X-Games right now though. Hope something can be done... because this camera is supposed to be made for handling things like this. Still, I'm sure I just got a bad batch of plastic or something like that because other people seem to be very satisfied with theirs.

PS. I had only had the camera for a couple of days... took my 16GB card with it too... dang.

Pic: IMAG0055.jpg

Edited by travis3

Yep, same thing happened to me, first time out with the camera....Helmet was dropped, not a huge impact either and it broke the clip that holds it to the mount...Then I was unscrewing the camera shell and the little tab broke off....Considering those things are 40 bucks, I was not happy at all...

Nicely timed revival of this post. I just recently had one of the jhooks snap on me on my GP HD camera mount. I was simply snapping it in place and it broke, so I had not even put it to the test yet. I bought the camera a year ago, but was just using it for the first time recently when it broke.

I went to Cycle Gear where I bought it, and the guy said he would call GP and call me afterward. I never heard anything, then on a subsequent trip to CG, I happened to mention it to the rep and he said he was going to make it easy on everyone---he tore open one of the GP mount assortment bags and gave me a replacement.

The thing is, we were not going fast... AT ALL! I was learning how to wakeboard so I barely got out of the water before falling right back in at a low speed. I got a response from GoPro and they said that because I "wiped out" when it broke, they could not do anything about it except for give me 50% off on another one. I guess I worded it incorrectly and they assumed that I hit the water hard. Sent another message explaining what I meant by "wiped out" and waiting on their response. 50% is very nice... but I just spent all of my money on that GoPro with a faulty mount...

I did a lot of research before buying this camera. Wanted to get the toughest one with good quality... I'm positive it had to be a faulty mount. Absolutely had to be! No way that should have broken like that.

This was before the GoPro floaty backdoor came out so I had little key flotation devices strapped to the helmet part. Problem is, the mount broke right above that.

Well, this post had faded away without my follow-up from the original. I did in fact get replacement parts from go-pro, but the wrong ones. They then sent the correct parts, leaving me with a perfectly functioning mount kit. It has worked great since, though I retired the camera for a Contour. I think I had a bad mount kit, as I have used and abused the crap out of it since with NO breakage whatsoever. I'm just glad it didn't end up at the bottom of a lake.

So are you supposed to never crash while wakeboarding? Why would you want to film that!?!