Sign in to follow this  

Spun tank inserts

Got an 08 TXC 250 one on the left and two on the right of the little threaded brass inserts for your shroud plastic have come undone in the tank and are spinning! Was wondering if anyone ealse have had the same problem, and is there a soultion to keep them from spinning. Thanks.

Common issue I think. I only had 1 spin but used a large screw driver and an impact wrench to spin and pry it out at the same time. Once out I used a hot glue gun and popped the insert back in (after I separated the bolt from the insert of course!). I know to be gently with that insert but so far it hasn't given me any trouble since. And I'm sure there is better glue products to use so hopefully others will chime in on what they used.

I use JB weld plastic weld found at auto parts store. Workd good. Make sure you grease bolts, no loctite. Clean hole on tank and insert really good with acetone so stuff sticks.

+1 on putting a little grease on the shroud bolts.

I also put grease on the dreaded side cover bolts that thread into the subframe insert and have never had a problem with either.

I had the same problem - I spun the insert with a screw gun for a bit to heat up the plastic and then carefully pried out the insert with a screwdriver - cleaned up the hole to remove any burrs (important step- or epoxy coated insert won't fit back in) and also cleaned with acetone and then epoxied the insert back in. Use grease, or even better, anti seize compound, on ALL tank and frame insert bolts - the steel bolts will gall the softer brass or aluminum and seize enough to spin the inserts.