Sign in to follow this  

Stabilizer on 01 cr250

I want to mount a stabilizer on my 01 cr 250. Anyone have a good setup. I do not really like the Scotts low mount where it is in front of the bike. I am fine with the scotts stabilizers and that is all I really have used but want a bar mount either above or below. Any help would be great!

Tell us what kind of experiences you have had during your incalculable hours riding a CR250. Is it not tracking well, rear end washing out, landings not going well, speed wobbles? You must have some details as to why you need a steering stabilizer. Once we have these details we can begin working on what steering doohickey is best for you.

Check out GPR stuff. If you want risers, get a V2. Stock height barmounts, get a V1 or 4. I have a V2 for my 01 cr250. Gpr dampers dampen in both directions and Scotts are only when going away from center. I think the road versions work both ways though.

Tell us what kind of experiences you have had during your incalculable hours riding a CR250. Is it not tracking well, rear end washing out, landings not going well, speed wobbles? You must have some details as to why you need a steering stabilizer. Once we have these details we can begin working on what steering doohickey is best for you.

Where did this guy come from? He must be new to bikes or something. All I want is a rear spring adjusted to my weight and riding style and a steering stabilizer. Probably more stuff later but its what I see as a good start to get the bike setup how I want it. A stabilizer is usually the first thing I put on any bike street or dirt. I do not have to ride it to know I want one. Where was the package being sent? The hotel?

Check out GPR stuff. If you want risers, get a V2. Stock height barmounts, get a V1 or 4. I have a V2 for my 01 cr250. Gpr dampers dampen in both directions and Scotts are only when going away from center. I think the road versions work both ways though.

Thanks for the information!

GPR is the only one making a kit got the 00-01 frame. However you can get a Scotts kit for a 02 cr250 minus the tower mount and then buy just the tower from GPR.

GPR only has the v4 underbar kit. If you get a scotts kit you can get the under bar or over bar kit.

FWIW I have the GPR V4 kit on my 2000.

Well not good news. Ohlins is refunding my order because they say the 2.0 came out in 2008 and my bike is a 2001? Hmm. Anyone know of anyone getting an ohlins 2.0 on an 01 cr250?

I have a Scotts on my 2001 CR250R. I have the low mount you refer to. Initially I had some misgivings about this mount but now actually prefer it. The reason I prefer it is it does not have any influnce on your handlebar set up and allows you to adjust your bar height (fit bar risers etc) as you see fit. The Scotts kit includes the punch, drill and tap you need to fit the frame attachment - folloiwng the instructions was easy.

I was using the top mount on my YZ for the Scotts and found I could not alter the handlebar settings as I wanted to. I have since fitted a new top clamp to my YZ to overcome this problem

When I ordered mine, they were careful to say there were no guarantees that it would fit my 05 CRF450, but I was confident there were no changes from the 05 to the 08 that would keep it from mounting up... so I ordered and took the risk. Now I have it on my 04 CR250 and it mounted up easily with the same hardware..

The mounting hardware is so simple, I don't see why it wouldn't work on the 01. Remove the upper bearing race and replace with their race (which has a post on the front), bolt everything back together, put the triple clamp back on, add the stabilizer and bar clamps.

The upper bearing race part number is the same on the 01 and the 04.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/HONDA/2001/CR250R/?modelyearid=18&typeid=1&groupId=955

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/HONDA/2004/CR250R/?modelyearid=20&typeid=1&groupId=947

Thanks for the information. Although the Ohlins looks cool I may just go with the gpr version 4 because they make a kit that is supposed to hook right up with frame bracket and all. I do not know if I want to do a whole lot of custom modding on the setup.

Call GPR direct. I'm almost positive you can still get more than one version. V1 is a standard top mount with stock bar height.

V2 mounts under the bars, uses a taller bar mount

-V4 just looks cool and is very slim.

Just phone them before you bite the bullet. There's a lot of helpful dudes there.

I want to mount a stabilizer on my 01 cr 250. Anyone have a good setup. I do not really like the Scotts low mount where it is in front of the bike. I am fine with the scotts stabilizers and that is all I really have used but want a bar mount either above or below. Any help would be great!

I have a scotts stabilizer on my 01 cr 250.

http://www.scottsperformance.com/Stabilizer_Purchase2.php?Make=Honda&Model=CR&Bike_ID=707&Year=2001&Size=250&Fred=&BI_ID=125084

I am not sure what kind of special setup you want I have the standard one from scotts and it works great. I have only heard good things about Scotts stabilizer so I went with them. I see where gpr's are a little cheaper but not sure about how it works in comparison to a scotts. :banana:

Here's some interesting reading on the Scotts and the Ohlins.

http://easterndirt.com/12/pages/damper_1.php

The Scotts is actually an older Ohlins product and works very good. If you don't like the higher bar position from the Scotts you can use a low rise bar to even things out, but factor in the cost of higher bar mounts and lower bars and the extra cost of the Ohlins isn't such a big deal after all.

Well the Ohlins did not work out. They were out of the on sale 2.0 and offered me a slightly discounted rate on the 2.1 but it was just too much money for me right now. Plus installation looks like a pain. Special tools and stuff. Anyhow I did get a deal I could not refuse on a Scotts above the bar setup with bars, frame bracket (that they don't make anymore?), and fat bar top clamp and all. Now I just need the Scotts stabilizer. Ebay they go for almost as much used as new! Even if I buy a new damper I will be under $400 for the whole thing.

Hi i have a gpr stabilizer on my 02 cr250r. I love it. It only raised the bars about 1/2 inch. They are not easy to find used for the cr's but they run 450 bucks through a bunch of places.

I was considering going with GPR but I have used Scotts stabilizers currently and in the past with very good success. GPR was a very viable option if what I got did not come up. I am still hunting down an actual stabilizer.

Ok. I found a Scotts stabilizer. I paid a little more than I wanted for it but overall I am happy with what I could come up with all together. I am into the whole thing at under $350. All used of course. Thanks for the help!