Sign in to follow this  

Utah White Wash 1st Timer

I've read all the threads moreover all the maps I can scrounge from the 'net and am wondering now if White Wash is guide or GPS-track mandatory for 1st timers there.

In any event, my son and I along with two others are going either April 6, 7 or 8th. We're staying in Green River; two days we are doing San Rafael Swell north and south (good for a repeat!) and some SE Moab trails (just to be done with them).

My son and I have done 70 mile loops twice before reserve. Since two others in our group have Gas Gases and report higher-than-average fuel consumption, the loop(s) ought to be restricted to 50 miles max.

I have Moab and the Swell planned yet White Wash eludes my old skool-mapping/trail-finding skills. There is hope as my son and another have bought GPS devices just for this trip and beyond.

So if anyone is willing to share WW tracks, we'd appreciate it, or be our guide - dinner at Ray's one me! We are reasonable novice, intermediate, to expert (not me!) enduro types, and like single track and box canyons. Thanks.

Hey-

I'd be willing to ride with you I am living in Moab now, I just moved there and have only been to WW twice but from Moab by connecting ST and roads. In the next month I should be able to learn the area better. If you're looking for expert speed I'm not your guy I'm intermediate I'd say (but willing to go at any pace if there are slower folks in the group). Feel free to PM me if you're interested, I'm always up to go riding.

Having a guide is certainly the best way to learn the area, but you can also just explore on your own. Our family has been going there each spring for several years now and we always find something new to explore.

Print out some of these maps...

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/motorized_routes/copy.html

Page 19 covers White Wash. You may want some neighboring maps as well. There are trails north to Crystal Geyser and Green River too.

White Wash itself is an open dune play area with some slickrock along the east side. There are trails heading off in almost all directions.

I would suggest riding up the wash (north, then east). It gets narrower and enters some cool box canyons. And then just explore.

A GPS might be nice to help you find your way back to the car, but you don't really need it to just go exploring.

A GPS might be nice to help you find your way back to the car, but you don't really need it to just go exploring.

Tell that to 5 guys on quads that spent the night on the trail last year. It was Sept last year, the guys parked next to our camp. We wondered where they were when it got dark. Didn't think we saw any camping equip on the quads. In fact, they were wearing shorts and other light gear. Got pretty cold at night. Next morning when it got light, they come screaming up and start throwing the gear on the trailer. Turns out they were part of a wedding (brother of the bride, ...) and had an hour to get to the wedding.