Plated Bike in the Garrage!

Well I was going to get a California Plated Beta 350, got as far as having a temporary plate in hand, just needed to get one form redone and taken back to DMV and it would be a done deal. Well the second trip to the DMV went south big time and the deal went down with it. ?

A little shopping on Craig's List put me on to several nice possibilities in my price range, and I ended up bringing this one home tonight:

525a.jpg

2005 KTM 525 E/XC

Okay, I was really looking forward to getting a Beta, you know, something a little different than what everyone else has, but it just didn't happen so Ive got another KTM in the garrage. The bike is in great shape, suspension done by Dick's Racing and sprung for my weight, all the necessary guards and such, and a good bunch of extras (stock tank, new set of tires, oil, filters, etc). ?

The only issue is it has been sitting for quite a while and is running really lean, so I need to clean the carb, check the jetting, check the valves, and get some fresh gas in it, all things I would do when buying a used 4-stroke anyway. :ride:

So I'll be doing the dual sport thing as soon as there's some place to ride, and I have a lot of ideas as far as that goes.?

Way to go!

I have had a plate now for about 6 months now.

The 500 has only been ridden 4 times since in the last 6 months.

The 650 has logged over 1000 miles in the dirt so far!

The freedom - incredible.

Shoot me a PM and we can hook-up.

I plan on riding this Sunday - if interested.

Sean

Thanks for the comments guys. ZDawg, I'll get in touch as soon as I have some time to get away for a ride, thanks! ?

Here are some of the details, Clarke 3,2 gallon tank (also have stock), Dick's Racing suspension (valved and sprung as if I had it done for me in the first place), all the guards and stuff are the KTM Hardparts stuff, 14/51 gearing, Maxxis IT front and rear (and a new set of the same ready to put on). Its got a bigass Moose rear fender bag too, that's probably gonna come off though.

I cleaned up the carb and put in fresh gas today, the pilot was completely clogged. Runs better, but still not right yet. ZekeDawg, what's your jetting? I'm thinking I'll just go with a JD kit, but thought I'd ask.

Here are a couple of better pics:

525d.jpg

525b.jpg

Do you know about the intermediary starter gear issue on the 05s? FYI if you dont.

I use a OCEMP needle, 158m, cant remember the pilot, o-ring mod and Honda diaph on mine and it runs great. Got the o-ring and diaph from JD, needle from a shop for $10. I go from 1500' to 8000' and it runs well with this setting.

I think they bumped the main up a couple slots, never had to get into mine, it ran like a top the day I got it. Had some issues with the waterpump seal, watch for fluid from the weep hole. Doesn't look to be ridden hard, love seeing the stock chain guide, I have chewed mine to pieces, and I have doubled the hours first owner had. Quite honestly, I think you have one of the best d/s style bikes for Nor Cal. That big bore will keep you grinning for a long time, that bike will make your style lazy, because you can ride hard all day long and not get tired and the F er will pull hard. We can, will and do some awesome rides up here, WELL worth the trip up, and then you can return the favor on a tour of your woods. Anytime, just holler, goes for anyone with a plate that wants to go.

Huh? a Big 4 stroke? well I guess that ride on my 550 had an effect on you?

Hey I got my Tundra extended warrenty refund check in mail today. Used it to pay off my loan on my Husaberg. Got all of it!

Great news on the warranty thing, hopefully I'll be doing that in August. ?

The deal I was working on for the Beta 350 fell through due to DMV BS, but I had considered a 525 before just because the big bike makes a better all around dual sport, they just didn't have a Beta 525 in my price range so I went out and found this KTM.

I went ahead and picked up a JD jet kit today, I had a gift certificate at one of the local shops so it was zero out of pocket. This is basically the same engine I had in my 351, which I had for about five years, so I am pretty familiar with everything except some size specific issues (like jetting). The JD kit should take care of the only real issue I know of, that along with a valve adjustment and oil change will have it ready to roll. :ride:

Probably won't be riding it this weekend though, if the weather holds the way its supposed to I'll be taking the YZ to race the Oasis HS Sunday up by Clear Lake. roost.gif

Congratualations on the new scoot. Looks like it's in great shape. I'd keep the fender bag, might come in handy for bringing a sleeping bag and other gear for an overnighter ?

I've thought about a DS, but with my talent, strictly dirt is probably safer.

Have fun with it!

Well I was going to get a California Plated Beta 350, got as far as having a temporary plate in hand, just needed to get one form redone and taken back to DMV and it would be a done deal. Well the second trip to the DMV went south big time and the deal went down with it. :banana:

A little shopping on Craig's List put me on to several nice possibilities in my price range, and I ended up bringing this one home tonight:

525a.jpg

2005 KTM 525 E/XC

Okay, I was really looking forward to getting a Beta, you know, something a little different than what everyone else has, but it just didn't happen so Ive got another KTM in the garrage. The bike is in great shape, suspension done by Dick's Racing and sprung for my weight, all the necessary guards and such, and a good bunch of extras (stock tank, new set of tires, oil, filters, etc). :banana:

The only issue is it has been sitting for quite a while and is running really lean, so I need to clean the carb, check the jetting, check the valves, and get some fresh gas in it, all things I would do when buying a used 4-stroke anyway. :banana:

So I'll be doing the dual sport thing as soon as there's some place to ride, and I have a lot of ideas as far as that goes. :banana:

Hey OD congrats!

I think I was looking at that same bike on CL.?

Are you worried about loosing your plate when you go to renew the reg.? or have you heard of any problems with the 05's since it wasn't orig. plated when sold?

I'm still looking at another 05' but, wasn't sure about the plate.

Hey OD congrats!

I think I was looking at that same bike on CL.:banana:

Are you worried about loosing your plate when you go to renew the reg.? or have you heard of any problems with the 05's since it wasn't orig. plated when sold?

I'm still looking at another 05' but, wasn't sure about the plate.

Well this bike was street registered from day one, is still current, and the guy I bought it from had the renewal from DMV in hand for the upcoming year, so it looks good. Of course after the BS I went through at DMV with the Beta I'm not considering anything a done deal. This one should be a simple title transfer though (the Beta was more complex), hoping to take care of it tomorrow. Best case is it goes through without a hitch and I got a great deal on a plated 525, worst case is shit happens with DMV and I still have a nice 525 that I might have gotten a little cheaper without a plate but still not really a bad deal.?