Sign in to follow this  

02 yz125 clutch drag

I just installed new Barnett clutch kit,When I put bike in 1st gear when motor is cold I get very bad clutch drag,When motor is warmed up there is no clutch drag is this normal for a after market clutch?

my 250f and my 250 both did this, not enough to stall the motor, just drag it down some. probably normal.

why would you ride the bike before its properly warmed up anyways? my bikes do this too after replacing clutch until they are up to temp.

i let my bikes warm up until the rad it very warm. then ride it slow for a few minutes. some times the clutch still drags...

I have the same bike with a complete Hinson clutch and it doesn't do it but my 04 250f does, it has barnet springs but that has nothing to do with it. What I believe is the biggest issue with some of the yamaha clutches is the lack of oil getting to the clutch plates. Until the oil has thinned and circulated from warm-up the plates wil wallow and grap on the pressure plate. Now if your hub or basket has notches then the problem is worse. Washer fixes are a joke and the only REAL fix for these clutches is to makes sure the hub and basket have no grooves, you are running the correct oil, and you have good circulation. There is a mod that actually does help and that involves drilling extra holes in the basket, and you have to know what you are doing. There are many here that have posted that procedure.

If I was you here's what I would do: If you didn't soak the new plates before install, take them out and soak them overnight in a shallow pan of motoroil (Mc type oil).Then re-install the next day.

Next, if this doesn't help and you dont want to tear into the bike and replace a hub and/or basket. Change your warm-up procedure. After the bike has been started and you flip off the choke, lean the bike to the right and give the bike some moderate revs.for 15- 20 seconds and that should get enough oil to the basket and re-wet those disks.

Changing warm-up procedure is the ticket! Clutch works great.

. Change your warm-up procedure. After the bike has been started and you flip off the choke, lean the bike to the right and give the bike some moderate revs.for 15- 20 seconds and that should get enough oil to the basket and re-wet those disks.

• Like 1

Yeah I posted something similar to this; i replaced clutch plates and friction plates on my '03 YZ 250 and they are dragging too.

• Like 1

A few of my bikes had this issue regardless of how much "initial" warm up time was allowed for the engine. cold clutch drag is simply the cold thick oil between the plates causing drag. The oil on a clutch that has been sitting also gets "squeezed out" from the faces of the drive discs. Once you warm up the tranny oil and get some more oil flowing between the drive plates generally speaking then clutch will work normal. If you consistently feel clutch drag, now you most likely have a warped driven plate(s) . Early 2000's YZF's were famous for frustrating cold clutch drag. My WR 250F was so bad it would stall every time I put the bike in 1st when cold. here's my post from way back in '02 :

http://www.thumperta...wr clutch fix

Edited by Polar_Bus