Sign in to follow this  

Front brake squeal??

My front brake is LOUD. There is plenty of material on the pads. I bought the bike used with 2K miles so I don't know if it was always like that. Has anyone else experienced this? Have you changed to a different pad?

2006 TE 610

Yes, on a number of bikes. My TE450 was horrible for a while. A couple of different ways to go.

Make sure your rotors are clean. Brake cleaner and scotch brite. Remove your pads and use something to remove the top layer of the pad surface that is contaminated. I generally just use the concrete floor of my garage and make figure 8 patterns untill I have removed the top layer. I reinstall using a red non squeal compound on the back of the pads. This usually does the trick. If that doesnt work you can also try the following

1) move to a more organic compound pad (its what I did with the TE). I dont remember which pad - Dan at Motoxocita helped me. More metalic pads on dirtbikes that actually see dirt, mud, and water seem to really squeal. My Daytona 675 was good by just cleaning.

2) put a slight chamber on the leading edge of the pads - this a trick that worked on my Land Rover

3) bead blast or replace your rotor. Never done as usually the above tricks worked for me.

4) lastly, make sure your caliper is in good working order. If it isnt, it could cause the pad to just hover at the point to contribute to the squealling.

Generally, squealling pads are due to a contaminated or glazed pad.

Thank you sfdrz400. Great post. I will start with cleaning the rotors and de-glazing the pads.

Yes, on a number of bikes. My TE450 was horrible for a while. A couple of different ways to go.

Make sure your rotors are clean. Brake cleaner and scotch brite. Remove your pads and use something to remove the top layer of the pad surface that is contaminated. I generally just use the concrete floor of my garage and make figure 8 patterns untill I have removed the top layer. I reinstall using a red non squeal compound on the back of the pads. This usually does the trick. If that doesnt work you can also try the following

1) move to a more organic compound pad (its what I did with the TE). I dont remember which pad - Dan at Motoxocita helped me. More metalic pads on dirtbikes that actually see dirt, mud, and water seem to really squeal. My Daytona 675 was good by just cleaning.

2) put a slight chamber on the leading edge of the pads - this a trick that worked on my Land Rover

3) bead blast or replace your rotor. Never done as usually the above tricks worked for me.

4) lastly, make sure your caliper is in good working order. If it isnt, it could cause the pad to just hover at the point to contribute to the squealling.

Generally, squealling pads are due to a contaminated or glazed pad.