Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha Banshee transmission assembly???

Hey guys, i'm new to thumper talk and also to bottom ends of engines. I was wondering who has done a bottom end rebuild on a banshee, especially a transmission rebuild and if you have some pictures of the procedure. Anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks!:thumbsup:

If you poke around online, you should be able to find a factory service manual you can download for free or for a small fee. A service manual becomes invaluable when you run into " How's this come apart? " and " Where'd that go? ". There is nothing too terribly difficult about a Banshee bottom end. You will have to send the crank assembly out to be rebuilt since it is all pressed together.The Yamaha manuals are well laid out and easy to follow and one for any year Banshee should work just fine. I helped a friend with a '99 a few years back and it was nearly identical to my '85 RZ350 street bike!

yubamike,

thanx alot, i am really excited to get my banshee i should be picking it up this monday, and i have been really nervous because i know the bottom end needs work done to it, because 2nd is totally gone, but with the manual, i am sure that i should be fine, and it helps that i took an online course to get certified as a motorcycle technician. I just don't have much experience, thanx again!

alright, so i took the whole entire engine apart and split the cases and both transmission shafts look good as well as the shift drum and the forks. The only things that i have found wrong is that one of the gears on the back transmission shaft is loose, and wobbles when i touch it, however it is located outside of the case next to the kickstarter shaft mechanism, i'm not sure, but i think it is the idler gear, does anyone know if that gear is suppose to wobble like that or is it suppose to be fixed? it looks like it might be missing a washer and a spacer too, i'm not sure. Also the clutch looks like is almost gone, i was wondering if the combination of the bad clutch along with that wobbling gear could be the problem why the banshee won't go in 2nd gear, let me know what you think, thanks!!!