Sign in to follow this  

Knocking?

Started up my 03 kdx200 today after a thorough cleaning, put fresh gear oil, and a fresh tank of 32:1 Amsoil. Anyway, I started it up and heard a knocking sound at idle, I don't know why I noticed it now and not before but its noticeable. It does go away when I rev it and the smoke is blue at the start and clean after it warms up. Could just be my sensitive ears, but when do you know you need to change out the bottom end?

Just so all you know I bought this bike a year ago and rode it twice a week from sept to nov in 2009(trail rides about 20-30 miles a ride). All the while with 32:1 amsoil mix. When I bought the bike it was perfect looking, hardly a scratch and I was told it had a fresh top end rebuild. I performed a compression test and it shows a steady 135 psi. The plug is new and gapped right, and the fmf pipe was just taken off and cleaned before today's start up.

Just want to know because I'm taking it south next week (spring break) and I want to make sure its going to be good to go.

I changed the chain, sprockets, brakes, bled the brakes, changed the plug, cleaned the bike, the pipe and silencer, changed the gear oil and adjusted the clutch. Am I missing anything? Let me know I don't want to be the one broken down.

KDX200/220 has a notorious "kips rattle" which can make quite a racket at idle, but goes away when you rev it. It also usually quiets down a bit sitting there at idle when you pull the clutch in. If those are your symptoms, nothing to worry about. A KDX engine sounds somewhat similar to a diesel on crack, lol.

KDX200/220 has a notorious "kips rattle" which can make quite a racket at idle, but goes away when you rev it. It also usually quiets down a bit sitting there at idle when you pull the clutch in. If those are your symptoms, nothing to worry about. A KDX engine sounds somewhat similar to a diesel on crack, lol.

hey I said diesel on crack a looong time ago...are you adopting my phraze??

Started up my 03 kdx200 today after a thorough cleaning, put fresh gear oil, and a fresh tank of 32:1 Amsoil. Anyway, I started it up and heard a knocking sound at idle, I don't know why I noticed it now and not before but its noticeable. It does go away when I rev it and the smoke is blue at the start and clean after it warms up. Could just be my sensitive ears, but when do you know you need to change out the bottom end?

Just so all you know I bought this bike a year ago and rode it twice a week from sept to nov in 2009(trail rides about 20-30 miles a ride). All the while with 32:1 amsoil mix. When I bought the bike it was perfect looking, hardly a scratch and I was told it had a fresh top end rebuild. I performed a compression test and it shows a steady 135 psi. The plug is new and gapped right, and the fmf pipe was just taken off and cleaned before today's start up.

Just want to know because I'm taking it south next week (spring break) and I want to make sure its going to be good to go.

I changed the chain, sprockets, brakes, bled the brakes, changed the plug, cleaned the bike, the pipe and silencer, changed the gear oil and adjusted the clutch. Am I missing anything? Let me know I don't want to be the one broken down.

your compression seems a bit low friend seems mine was around 150 befor my rebuild and 165 after cant remember exactly but 135 seems low for the kdx..I get that with a 6.1:1 CR blaster

They do have a definite diesel like rattle to them when they're idling.:thumbsup:

135lbs does sound down a little for a low hours top end, but still well within the "95-151 lbs" the manual calls for. Did you warm the bike up good before you checked the compression?

They do have a definite diesel like rattle to them when they're idling.

135lbs does sound down a little for a low hours top end, but still well within the "95-151 lbs" the manual calls for. Did you warm the bike up good before you checked the compression?

No, good point OLHILLBILLY, I did a cold test.

Did you use a full quart of oil? I know it doesn't call for it but the KDX needs a full quart.

Most likely your letting the KIPs rattle get to you. I know on occasion it would get my attention and it was hard to ignore :thumbsup:

hey I said diesel on crack a looong time ago...are you adopting my phraze??

Man I stole that one from you the second you said it. I have yet to hear a more accurate description for the sound of a healthy KDX! :thumbsup:

FWIW my KDX tested at 165 on a fresh top end.

Did you use a full quart of oil? I know it doesn't call for it but the KDX needs a full quart.

Most likely your letting the KIPs rattle get to you. I know on occasion it would get my attention and it was hard to ignore :ride:

:thumbsup:

Yep. putting a whole quart in will help quiet down the racket. I also run a whole quart in my KX.

Yep. putting a whole quart in will help quiet down the racket. I also run a whole quart in my KX.

Yesterday 10:08 AM

Most likely your letting the KIPs rattle get to you. I know on occasion it would get my attention and it was hard to ignore

You guys run a whole quart of oil in the trans? Thats 3 tenths of a liter more than stated in the manual. This is the first time I started using ATF F, will that make a difference? Seems like I could pick up on a lot of these little tips here.

So, any more advice? Much appreciated.

I run the whole quart for several reasons. It helps make the engine quieter, the greater quantity of oil stays cooler, and the greater quantity of oil helps to disperse contaminants from the clutch better.

I too run a full quart of ATF-F. First couple times you drop it, some is gonna come out the vent tube, but other than that it has served me really well.

I noticed you guys seem to be talking about the 95+ for the full quart of tranny fluid. Can I do the same with my 90? I think it calls for 0.75L right now.

Also does anyone know of a write up on how to clean the KIPS valve?