Sign in to follow this  

top end oil leak fix

Hi all just about to take the rocker box off again to fix pesky leak, i used a silicone based instant gasket last time and this didnt hold up , now ordered some Hylomar non setting type , has anyone used this before and is it the correct type for the rocker box also if anyone has their bike in bits and could tell me the length of the threads on the rocker cover bolts id really appreciate it as i plan on buying a helicoil kit to fix the M6 bolt threads on the head and would like to have it in place before dismantling :thumbsup:

Suzuki and Yamaha sell a non-hardening sealer. I don't recall the Suzuki designation but the Yamaha product is called Yamabond-4. This stuff works great and allows for easy disassembly later. That's my preferred sealer but I have successfully used blue RTV in this location also. The key is to use VERY little - just a light smear.

FWIW one of my DR350s had a stripped thread in the hole for one of the 4 6x55mm "cap" bolts - that is one of those bolts on either side of the cam itself. I measured and found there was at least another centimeter of unused threads in that hole below the damaged area and I was able to replace the 55mm bolt with a 65mm bolt rather than pulling the head and inserting a helicoil. That saved a lot of time and effort; however, I don't know how deep the threads go in the other holes. If it were me, I'd check out that possibility before pulling the head.

those bolts are different lengths as well. Good idea to make a cardboard template before you start pulling them. Be sure to bond the plug on the end of the rocker shaft. The manual shows not to, but folks here said to, I read that after I was done and didn't we'll see

I used Hylomar for years on quick change gearbox's (Hewland) and it works good. Keenserts are better that helicoils, used them on g-box's too

Ran the DR yesterday morning, definite leaks from the cam shaft plug. tore it down re did it all. Rode in to work today and it seems to be holding. Not willing to say it yet, but it might be the first time the DR is not leaking somewhere

Ran the DR yesterday morning, definite leaks from the cam shaft plug. tore it down re did it all. Rode in to work today and it seems to be holding. Not willing to say it yet, but it might be the first time the DR is not leaking somewhere

Good luck there m8 ive got mine stripped and ready to helicoil all the bolt holes also ordered new valve inspection gaskets and four new M6x1x55 bolts for the main cam shaft area as they looked quite dodgy on the threads