Sign in to follow this  

02 CRF450 cdi problem??

Hi. Ive just got my bike back from the shop because it lost power and was backfiring like crazy but after riding it for about 20 mins it suddenly started doing it again, so i took it back he fixed it and same thing again. he says hes done the carb, valves, basically everything with the engine so it must be the cdi. Do i need to buy a cdi for my year or are there others that will work? more specifically ive seen a cheap 06 cdi. Any good?

Thanks

02 03 04 will work they are single plug 05 and above are double plug. Before you buy borrow one from someone else just to make sure.You can get them cheap off ebay. But before you get the cdi I had a problem with my 03 crf450 cutting out and turned out to be the stator. Intermitent short. Did it loose power or cut out.I have an extra cdi I can sell you cheap but I think the shipping would be too much.

Hi. well ive looked on ebay and found a cdi for £45 inc p&p so i bought that. No it didnt cut out it just suddenly started backfiring like a crazy thing and had no power when u opened it up, it killed it more than anything. ive heard the 02's have valve probs but they was reground so i know it isnt them. Mechanic says its gotta be the cdi coz he spent hours trying to find the problem and it cant be anything in the engine. before it started backfiring it was a beast and loved poppin wheelies, especially in 1st 2nd or 3rd

Thanks

Pull the left side engine cover and see if there is a build up of "fuzzy metallic stuff" on the pickup coil.Also as far as CDI box interchangeability goes only 02 and 03 are the single plug model,the 04 and up has two plugs.cheers

Hi. ok thx, i'll have a look for the fuzzy stuff next time im in my garage. The cdi i bought looks like it has 2 plugs but says 02-04. Heres the ebay item number if u get a chance to have a look. 120469987382

Thanks

Wingmann is right The one you got I looked will not fit your bike. Your bike is single. 02 + 03 single and 04 and up double. If you want it to work you will have to get an 04 or up wire harness. Alway check and double check before you buy. Good luck

Hi. I looked at the cdi i bought and it is a double so obviously it will not fit my bike. I've sent the seller an email saying i do not need that part as it will not fit my bike and told him he may want to adjust the description. Risking sounding stupid, would you say this is the cdi i want? 110498104333

Thanks

yes thats the one you need. The problem with ebay is alot of people sell items and dont check what bikes they fit and just guess. Never believe what people say always check for yourself. that whats good about TT if you dont know just ask. Also find a websight with a microfishe so you can always double check, there are pictures prices and part numbers.

I just got off ebay and you will not believe how many cdi's are listed wrong. The listers do say to check before you buy but Im sure almost nobody does. And the lister should really list it properly. I think they are just trying to make a sale and don't really care if it is right or not. I guess the old saying, Caveat Emptor(latin for). Let the buyer beware.

Hi. CDI arrived today, slapped it on and the bike nad was much better than before. Couldnt even open it up at all really without id boggin and nearly dying before but now it is actually ridable. Still is prett far from perfect thought. had it poppin wheelies in first and second up my road but when i took it round the block, opening it up in the higher gears it would jolt about and backfire which obviously is not right. As i said before, much better with the new CDI but not perfect. My mechanic says it IS NOT the engine because hes had it in pieces several times trying to find the problem and he figured it was the CDI. Any ideas please???

Thanks

glad the Cdi worked out. But your jetting must be off and with the 02 you need to do the ap mod. Do a search and find out. I had an 02 and it had a major bog. My 03 crf450 is spot on with just jetting.

Hi. Ok i'll look into that. There are a couple of weird things that still confuse me though. 1 is that the bike was running perfectly and then suddenly just started backfiring and losing power so if it was the jetting or anything would it not have always done that? And number 2 is that the carb is actually set up as an o3. Im 90% sure its an 02 because of the frame number and i was told the 5th and 6th numbers are the year but ive got an 02-03 manual and the main jet (i think its called) is 170 and on the throttle long pin thing that goes through the carb has the clip on slot 5 where as on 02's its meant to be on 4. Can you make any sense of that??

Thanks

I dont think it is your carb, when my stator went out it was backfiring, hard to start.

But lets go over your carb what is your elevation and temp outside now?

Your Main jet "MJ" is 170 ,needle is on 5th what is your Slow Jet "SJ" size ,how many turns out is your Air Screw & make sure your hot start is not stuck

Hi. Other than the main there were 2 more jets. The longer of the 2 which i believe is the SJ said 42 on the side and the shorter one said 72 on the top i think. Air screw is 1 and a half turns out.

Thanks

hi. really old thread but i thought id reply. yeah it was my stator! cost me over £700, most of which was labour but its running spot on now. cant complain too much because ive had virtually a whole top end rebuild but it wasnt ideal! Thanks for the input tho

Thanks