Moto Apps That Are Da $#@!??? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Should I change the oil by the odometer? Or install an hour meter?

use the hours. if u race 5 hours , if u cruse 5 hours. that way u will change the oil on time no matter what . like you said if your in a sand pit your not going far but u run it alot you could tripple it . i think all in all it is up to the rider to count both look at what u did and how hard you drove not to mention cold starts as condensation is oils worst nightmare.

In Oz, the X comes with a nice big digital speedo/odometer! Its got all the info on it that any street bike would have. Even a lap timer!

speedo.jpg

What do youse get? Just an analog Odometer?.... Oh weak.

:thumbsup:

The only problem with the stock odometer is that it is rubbish :ride: Mine is still going ok on my 08 CRF450x but i have heard and read so much about them failing i am just waiting for mine to stop, when it does i will most likely replace it with a basic speedo like what was on the xr's. It is a pity that Honda has built such a great bike but it has been let down with inadequate equipment such as the speedo, KTM and Yamaha have great speedo's pity Honda didn't get the same manufacturer to make theirs.

You have to take in all the factors.. time + distance + conditions. I use the same logic with filters.. some say cleain/oil it "every ride", but I disagree with that completely and will sometimes leave it in there for a few rides just depending. For example, time & distance both go out the window if most of the riding is in sand or conditions that tax the motor. On the flipside, if I'm cruising single track on tacky soil in the mountains I'll let it go for awhile. When in doubt you should change it, to be sure.

Edited by guycomer

Agreed, the first thing that needs to go on the X is the crappy odo. The yamaha WR comes with a very nice digital odo. I do not understand why honda puts something so cheap and inaccurate on such a great bike.

I have a 1981 Honda XL250s in my garage with the exact same ODO as my 2006 X. What the hect is up with that. Oh and the one on the 81 does not work anymore. Rest of the bike is practically mint.:thumbsup:

Well this is a battle for advise. There are a hundred opinions. I personally use the OEM odometer. When I hit 100 miles it is time for an oil change. I ride strictly trails and have found this to work good for me. The oil does not look to bad when it comes out.

As for the oil analysis being sent in. Does anyone have the reports that came back on this? If so what was it and how much time or miles were on the oil. I think this would be great to find out if my schedule is to early or to late. Just do not have the cash to do it now.

Some guys will tell you to change your oil every 3 hours and the shop will tell you to wait much longer. It is realy up to you to read the hundreds of posts and make a determination out of this information. 100 miles works for me.

good luck to you in the search.

Yeah and you also have to factor in synthetic or non. You can get more hours running on synthetic oils.

Yep ok thanks guys I will definitely get an hour meter fitted. :lol:

But, how many hours before a service? 10?

:thumbsup:

It depends on the type of oil and you need to test your usage based on where or how you ride your X. I plan to change out every two big ride trips which will end up being about 10 hours. But if my oil looks bad I will step it up, but I don't think I will go any longer than that no matter what on the non syn I am using. If I switch to synthetic I will probably re-evaluate this 10 hour time. But you should play it safe and figure what the best is for your bike with your riding conditions. That's just my opinion, no expert.:ride:

I find the stock odo to be quite adequate.

I agree. I also run a hardwired GPS unit on my bike and I find the millage right on.

I agree. I also run a hardwired GPS unit on my bike and I find the millage right on.

Do you have a GPS and a Vapor installed on your bike? If so, do you have a pic....how does it fit?

I go by the hour meter and mounted mine on the right side of the frame by the ID tag with dual sided 3M tape:ride:

Sweet mate! That's where I put it! :banana:

P3101961.jpg

:lol:

I think you should do it however you think is the best gauge of wear. This will most likely change a bit when you see the oil you take out. If you go whatever interval you were told and find the oil is nasty as hell coming out, then I would definitely cut that interval next time. Every rider is different as are the conditions they ride and the quality of oil used. These will all play a part in your findings. I like to use hours because I think it's a little safer for the way I use my bike.

We just finished a short video covering all the details of installing our tach / hour meters. We are asked a lot about how to install them...so we decided to make a video for everyone to make it easy :smirk:

thanks.

...Eric

I change the oil in my racer after every race. My bike only holds a little over 1 quart, so we are talking about $10 and then it sits in the garage for a week or so before I try to kill it again.

I keep track of hours and oil changes in my head. And, it's good to be on the safe side. I change generally every 3 or 4 rides and after every race. Check the smell/color/etc...if it's questionable change it