Sign in to follow this  

My new to me YZ

Just picked this up earlier in the week. Its an 06 model, but was bought brand new in 08 and ridden in the woods. The motor still sounds really good. When I went to buy it I rode it around for about 5 mins. Came back and pulled the plug and stuck my compression tester in it. It has 200psi but I had the throttle closed dont know how much of a difference that makes. It has a gnarly pipe on it but I want to find a stock one to put on it instead because I will only be ridding mx with it. The suspension has been went through and has Sub-tanks on the forks. But I really dont know much about what they do. Anyways heres some pics I took real quick.

P3021189.jpg

P3021190.jpg

P3021193.jpg

Better pics to come when im riding it. Oh yea and I only paid $2400 for it.

Also I have read good things about the Supertech TCW3 syn. oil. I bought some and was going to use it. What are most guys running this oil at? 30-1 or more than that. Also whats everyone running for trans oil. I didnt get the manual with the bike is why im asking these things.

you will probably get a million and 1 different opinons on premix ratio... truth is there is no correct ratio as long as you pick one and stick with it, then dial jetting in for that ratio. But I will give you my personal preferences. my yz set up for mx gets 32:1 and my yz for woods I run 40:1 and I have spent countless hours messing with the jetting combos until i found what worked best for me and my personal liking...

But seriously pick a ratio and dial in the jetting and youll have a rocketship between your legs! Use the search feature and look for jetting info as you will find endless useful info on jetting tips and suggestions!

also forgot to mention that for the inexperienced with jetting I suggest the JD kit... It will make the proccess much less involved and much easier. He will also give you the reccommended starting point that will be very very close to where you need to be

Great score!

We run 10-40 full synthetic oil in the gearbox, but the important thing is to change it often and be sure to run the correct amount!

The 'overflow' check screw hole is in the wrong location, making it easy to believe there is enough oil in the trans when if fact there is not. :thumbsup:

We also use full-synthetic premix at 50:1, but that is for woods riding. I'm pretty sure the MX guys go a bit richer.

Again, it looks like you snagged a great bike for a great price. Good on ya!

P.S. I may be interested in that Gnarly if you're going to sell it...

I have the moose sub tank bar on my 08 300 and they make a world of difference. My buddy's have the same bike and spent a lot more money on revalues, but my forks still feel better stock with sub tanks

I mite be interested in selling it. I want either a stock pipe or another one thats good for mx.

I have plenty of jets to sort and of that out.I was just mainly wondering what everyone considered good for the supertech oil. And also which brand of trans oil. I know some people run Rotella stuff but was wondering which kind.

The sub-tanks that are on these forks im not sure of the brand.

mines used also but I run yamalube only its not too exspensive and just makes sense

I love the graphic kit.

I've been looking for places to score the older version of the Alpinestars graphics, with no luck.

I dont even know where he got it from.

There is a huge thread on here where alot of people are running the supertech oil.

I use the maxima K2. Its the only oil I will use. When I did my top end last time with over 100 hours on it there was no carbon on the power valve at all. On my old bike I ran so synthetic bellray and the power valve was cover. I mix 40-1

Also can anyone look at the first pic and tell if the bike has a reed spacer. I know its supposed to have one spacer type thing against the cylinder in between the reed cage, but it looks like mine has 2 of them. Thanks

Also can anyone look at the first pic and tell if the bike has a reed spacer. I know its supposed to have one spacer type thing against the cylinder in between the reed cage, but it looks like mine has 2 of them. Thanks
Check to see if your intake matches this...

YZ250_intake.gif

I found this in the parts list for the 2006 YZ250. If your bike is stock, it should have only one of #7.

http://www.yamahapartsdepot.com/fiche_select.asp

Good advice on the premix. Pick a brand, pick a ratio and never change it. You will go nuts trying to dial it in if you are changing the ratio and premix all the time. I run the Maxima Super M (blue label) at 40:1. I've tried some others, but this seems to be best for me.

I can say I have noticed some differences with the gearbox oil, but for me, I was running the cheap stuff (10W-30) and changing it every race/50 miles. Now that I have the Rekluse, I change it just as often, but use the Rotella. Right or wrong, my thinking is that fresh, cheap oil is better than old, expensive oil.