Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

California San Diego where do you get your dirt bike tire's changed at.

Cycle Parts West on El Cajon is $5 w/tire purchase (Maxxis' are competitively priced there). Otherwise, in my garage.

Where and how much does it cost you ? :thumbsup:

I think MotoMax (Sportcycles old loc)right down the street from you does them. I always change my own so no first hand knowledge of their work

I'm not sure if Dave at Motomax mounts tires but he does have awesome prices and service on parts and accessories. Before he re-opened I was buying everything on the net. Great to have him back!:thumbsup:

My good friend is a professional bike tech and works out of his garage in Clairmont right by Clairmont Mesa Blvd and Diane ave. He does great work for great prices if you are interested shoot me a pm and I'll give you his #. BTW he is a racer in d38 and works for Baja Bound Moto as well.

Cycle Parts West on El Cajon is $5 w/tire purchase (Maxxis' are competitively priced there). Otherwise, in my garage.

I called them and they said $13 if I bring the tire in. And like you said $5 if I buy there. That sounded good. So off I went with two back rims and tires. Before unloading I went inside to asked them. Where should I drop them off at and I said it's $13 each. They said, yep bring them in. So when i get both rims and tires inside. They say it's $10 more each if you have HD tubes. :ride: That place sucks. I've been there a few times shopping and have never had a good experience. For one reason or another. :lol::bonk::lol::bonk::lol: one for each time !!!!

I think MotoMax (Sportcycles old loc)right down the street from you does them. I always change my own so no first hand knowledge of their work

I think they charge $25. I hear of places that charge $10 and $15. But nothing local. I need to get a couple more tire irons and do like you. :thumbsup:

I called them and they said $13 if I bring the tire in. And like you said $5 if I buy there. That sounded good. So off I went with two back rims and tires. Before unloading I went inside to asked them. Where should I drop them off at and I said it's $13 each. They said, yep bring them in. So when i get both rims and tires inside. They say it's $10 more each if you have HD tubes. :banana: That place sucks. I've been there a few times shopping and have never had a good experience. For one reason or another. :lol::bonk::banana::bonk::banana: one for each time

you said you are bringing in the tire and the rim. Did you bring or buy a tube?

You are not planning to use your old tube I assume.

I'd guess that they are selling you the hd Tube.

I always buy my tires and HD tubes at Cycle Parts West and have them install it for me. Good selection,convenient, they special order, and you can't beat their install price. Maybe I should install my own tires, but their price I feel is almost free to do it. Just my opinion.

you said you are bringing in the tire and the rim. Did you bring or buy a tube?

You are not planning to use your old tube I assume.

I'd guess that they are selling you the hd Tube.

I always buy my tires and HD tubes at Cycle Parts West and have them install it for me. Good selection,convenient, they special order, and you can't beat their install price. Maybe I should install my own tires, but their price I feel is almost free to do it. Just my opinion.

No. I had tubes. They wanted to charge 10 more per tire. For the install of a HD tube. It's the wasting my time and gas with the Bate and Switch. That pisses me off :banana:. After telling a buddy. He said they did the same thing happen to him. :banana::thumbsdn::lol::thumbsdn:

Edited by CS105

In my garage, and it's free. Takes about 20 minutes. Learn to change it yourself. It will come in handy when out on a trail.

Charlie....

I don't do my own... (anymore)

I have enough experience changing tires for years in my garage, in camp, let alone in the field. Your no less of a man, if you take them somewhere with a machine!

This reminds me of how guys don't use chase trucks on long rides, because it's a "p*ssy" thing to do. I guess, "SAFETY" is one thing that old crusty dirt bikers aren't aware of... or maybe they are too young of a rider to know any better and haven't experience the "BAD" of it.

... C-n-D Cycle (858.277.3298) up by my house in Clairemont gets ALL my tire changing business. No busted knuckles, no scratched rims... they use a tire machine, and at times will do it while you wait.

Doing it yourself is just Neanderthal.:banana:

BTW, is Cycle Parts West still using that guy who does them by hand?? If so, that would be the extra costs for UHD tubes or things of that nature. The poor SOB probably needs a good hand masseuse

Most of the time, I change my own but thats because if I paid someone, I would have to drive "in to town" (no local place right around the corner :banana:) However, there is a place in town that will do it for 15 bucks or free if you buy the tire from them...

I used to HATE changing tires but that was before I figured out how to...

(1) First part is technique...plenty of videos on youtube that can show you how

(2) A tire stand is a BIG help...the one I have places the wheel at your waist and holds the wheel tight so you can work it.

(3) The next big trick is having good tire irons...I use two BIG ones and a beed buddy.

(4) Dont forget the baby powder and windex

The four recommendations above make changing tires a cake walk (and I used HD tubes and tires)

Most of the time, I change my own but thats because if I paid someone, I would have to drive "in to town" (no local place right around the corner :banana:) However, there is a place in town that will do it for 15 bucks or free if you buy the tire from them...

I used to HATE changing tires but that was before I figured out how to...

(1) First part is technique...plenty of videos on youtube that can show you how

(2) A tire stand is a BIG help...the one I have places the wheel at your waist and holds the wheel tight so you can work it.

(3) The next big trick is having good tire irons...I use two BIG ones and a beed buddy.

(4) Dont forget the baby powder and windex

The four recommendations above make changing tires a cake walk (and I used HD tubes and tires)

Changing tires is good for the body, mind and SOUL.

Add a third iron to make starting the removal and starting the last bead install, and it just gets eaiser.

Using three irons to start the removal mkes a big difference, the two outer irons stay and the middle one pulls out easy to use to remove the rest of the bead. (the dunlop guys vid is the best)

Edited by Dust_Devil

By the time I pull my wheel, put it in the car, drive to the shop (if they are open at 9pm when I get the time to work on the bike), have them change it, drive back home, put it back on the bike, I could have changed 5 wheel sets by then. I too have put in my dues of changing wheels myself, that is why I keep doing it myself. Why pay someone else to do it? It takes me maybe 10 - 15 mins for a tire change.

CDA Out!

I live in the sticks, and I change my own too... 15 minutes for a front and 20 for a rear with a new HD tube each time. Takes a bit longer on the trail... bring a new tire inside near a heater before installing; garages get really cold this time of year.

I have no aversion to having it done by others and a machine is easier on the rims, but the time it takes makes it easier to do it myself

What are you guys rich? At 20 bucks a pop Ill do it myself. Everybody who trail rides really should know how to change out a tire or fix a flat. And carry a spare tube. I wont ride w guys who cant wrench on there own stuff.

All good advice! I use a Pep Boys bar stool and Motopro Irons. If your changing a tire on the weekend, leave it in the sun for an hour. Heat is your friend when changing tires.

If your doing it at night, use a heat gun to soften up the bead. I also use WD-40 on the bead and it makes all the difference.

Thanks guys for some of the tips. I like to have options. I have changed tires before and can do it. I see places that charge $10 and $15. But I haven't found any place close by. Sometimes subbing things out. Can help a lot.

I deleted the BS. Please stay on topic.

Thank You.

Thanks for deleting the BS. Better late than never.