Sign in to follow this  

Arizona Cali-rider seeks AZ license plate for Yamaha YZ250

Hey all. I'm seriously considering buying a used YZ250 in AZ, getting it plated, and bringing it back to California. We can no longer plate OHV bikes in CA. So, a few questions.... can I do all this with one trip to AZ? I want to buy the bike, take it to DMV, and then return back home all in one shot. I have read that the AZ DMV will do a "level 1 check", meaning just a VIN # confirmation. Will I need turn signals, head light, and brake light, etc on the bike first? What specifically does the AZ DMV require on the bike to get a plate? My father lives in Dewey, AZ, so maybe that has some advantage? Thanks very much for any info.

if the bike is allready titled in az. they usually dont have to inspect it. depends on the county though.

az. requires headlight,tail/brake light,horn and mirror.

I'm in Maricopa county and I had to take mine through emissions but that may not be required if you register it in Dewey which is in Yavapai county. Both my bikes had AZ titles when I applied for the street legal plate. There was no VIN # check and I had to sign an affidavit saying they met the requirements. When you register you designate the use. I believe the options were on road, primarily off road, and off road. The registration fees for primarily off road, which I selected for my bikes, were cheep. Tail light and brake are required but I don't think there is a requirement for a head light as long as you are riding in the day light.

When you go threw DMV you leave with a plate. As stated above you will sign an affidavit stating you have all the required equipment, no inspection at all. Of course you will have to insure it as well. Do it all in your Dads name and address and you should have no worries on the AZ end.

Hey splice...I don't wanna rain on your parade...BUT... while you can buy a bike in AZ and plate it here... that does not mean you can legally ride it in California. This topic has been debated in the dual-sport threads. It's kinda like semis pulling triples... you see it in Colorado... but you don't see it in AZ or CA. Good luck trying to side-step the laws in CA... But I would make sure you have all your facts straight before you spend a bunch of money only to end up with a whole bunch of tickets in CA.

You can legally ride it as long as you don't register it in your name. Keep it in your Dad's. Also while it's a grey area I would put all the CA required equipment on it (headlight, taillight, mirror, turn signals, etc). Otherwise expect to be harrassed. Where you get into real trouble is when you have an AZ plated bike and a CA drivers license both in your name. If pulled over just say you borrowed the bike for the weekend. Also some counties in AZ require regular smog checks on bikes and some don't. Obviously it would be better to pick one that doesn't.

I bought yz 426 and dude already had it plated for st so when I went to get it in my name the clerk asked if I wanted to keep it on the street. No inspection or any thing. If the one u buy is alreay plated then yes, 1 day trip. Just make sure you and seller get the title noterized. Good luck.