Sign in to follow this  

Fork Seal Brand

I did a search and did not find what I was looking for. Simple question, I am getting ready to order seals and dust covers for 03 230, what brand do I need to get? Moose is what I found easily.

OEM!

Don't waste time with aftermarker, they just blow easier then factory

Also being a 03, I'm betting you will need new fork bushings (probably the reason your seals blew to begin with)

I'd order both sets of OEM bushins, with OEM seals

If you don't replace the bushings on a 7 year old bike, chances are the seals will blow again.. Unless this bike has very very low hours on it.. Still for the work involved, and money spent on seals/oil, better off buying the bushings also :thumbsup:

i put moose ones on mine and so far so good,but I haven't had alot of time on it yet.Also I don't have the rubber boots installed,maybe I'm gona be replacing them very often.

On the bushing, do I need the bushing guide and slider (parts 6 & 7) or just the guide? I have not torn this down yet. I would think just the guide?

OEM!

Don't waste time with aftermarker, they just blow easier then factory

Also being a 03, I'm betting you will need new fork bushings (probably the reason your seals blew to begin with)

I'd order both sets of OEM bushins, with OEM seals

If you don't replace the bushings on a 7 year old bike, chances are the seals will blow again.. Unless this bike has very very low hours on it.. Still for the work involved, and money spent on seals/oil, better off buying the bushings also :banana:

Buy from Honda, I learned that a long time ago with after market seals. The after market seals have too much stiction.

And yes after seven years you should also replace the bushings. Two bushings; one on the slider and one in the stanchion.

The bushings are teflon coated and when you pull the bushings a close examination will show if any of the grey teflon is worn thru, which means replacement. Be careful when ordering because some of the Honda part numbers are kits with seals and bushings, you could get duplicate parts (don't ask).

They were so cheap that is what I did, figured it could not hurt. My son is about 175 lbs, we ride mainly trails. I think the forks have some 1/2-in spacers already, I will know when I tear it down. What weight oil should I use? From the searches I have done 7.5 or 10 wt oil, any recommendations? This will be my first fork rebuild - I have the pages from the manual - any other tricks I should know would be appreciated.

I put 15W in mine,only neede the 1L bottle.

Here's a secret... Honda doesn't make fork seals.

There are a lot of companies out there making great ones. Moose is the brand name for Parts Unlimited - they don't make fork seals either. If you look at them closely and compare to other brands they carry, you'll prob easily figure out who(m) is really making them. Some of the companies are actually OEM companie ie: Athena fork seals have come in KTM's in the past I haven't checked current KTM's and the price is 1/4 of what KTM charges for them.

It's sorta like the fact that a PRO X piston is a stock ART piston same piston that Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Yamaha sell - not seconds. But the actual motorcycle company is not selling it so it is considered "aftermarket".

Keep that in mind when looking at aftermarket parts. No manufacture makes the clutch in their bike, the forks, the shock, the fluids, the bearings etc... these are all sourced items.

So you can find some great deals out there if you study up on what you are working on a little bit.

Next time you belly up to buy that Honda/Kawi/Suzi/Yam oil ask them who makes it for them... Yamahalube R used to be Phillips 66 2 stroke oil which you could buy for about a buck a bottle cheaper. I'm not sure who makes it now...

One factory I worked for used to have allll these companies pulling in with oil such as Kendal, Quaker State etc... we'd test it for months, and when we were done they'd triple the price and put it in their bottles with their labels.

I'm not saying these companies don't have good oil but it's not HONDAS oil it's an oil they purchased somewhere. It's not KAWASAKIS oil it's an oil they purchased somewhere etc...

So keep an open eye and you might just save some $$$.

Company brands are a good way to do that too - I don't believe "Moose" makes any hardparts. So if you see bearings, seals, or anything chances are they are a well known/respected company repackaging (branding) a product for moose... sometimes Moose sells at a much lower price too!

While some parts are true that OEM is nothing special but re badged expensive parts, I personally don't buy OEM oil cause it isn't anything special :thumbsup:

Most honda fork seals are showa I believe, which are much higher quality then 'cheap' off brand fork seals you find on ebay

I've built countless fork seals on dirt bikes and street bikes, and the only time I've ever had issues was using non oem seals

I just always recommend OEM seals cause they are generally good, and have proven them selves on every bike I've worked on :lol: