Sign in to follow this  

The Final Piece

a couple days ago I installed a JD jet kit and an MRD/SSW exhaust on my '09 SM and the next day I went to move my bike to take it off the stand and noticed this little spring lying on the floor under my bike. It's pretty small, only 3/8" long and 1/4" diameter. Everything seems to start and run good, just wanted to make sure it's not an important piece somewhere. Hopefully someone can pinpoint where it came from so it won't be in the back of my mind.

DSCN0234.jpg

Do you have an FCR? It looks like the spring from an accelerator pump.

Do you have an FCR? It looks like the spring from an accelerator pump.

If you mean the one with the rubber diaphram, then no,, that one is much larger.

Hard to tell from the pic,, but if you have the OEM carb (BSR Mikuni) thats about the right size for the needle cap spring

it's a OEM carb that I have, I took the carb apart carefully and put it back together carefully but don't recall seeing this spring anywhere

and I did put in the extended fuel mix screw when I installed the jet kit

and I did put in the extended fuel mix screw when I installed the jet kit

Pull the extended fuel screw and check to see if it has the SPRING, washer and O-ring. You need it if it is missing.

if it's missing from the extended fuel mix screw, is the order they're placed on the screw 1. spring 2. washer 3. o-ring

Like Bronco said, probably the fuel screw spring, but I remember it being a little longer than that. My memory sucks, though. :thumbsup:

if it's missing from the extended fuel mix screw, is the order they're placed on the screw 1. spring 2. washer 3. o-ring

That's correct.

I'll have to check it after work, but the thing that makes me think it didn't come from the extended fuel screw is that I pulled the carb and work on it on the table and I remember transfering the stuff on the old screw to the new screw. so that would kind of throw that theory since I found the spring under the bike after everything was all put back together and in the bike. This is gonna drive me crazy :thumbsup:

The only other small spring I can think of(besides the fuel screw) is at the front brake

no 10 here, but it looks longer

18982_42.gif

just checked the fuel mixture screw and it has one on there, so now the mystery of where this stray spring came from continues

If it's the BSR carb ,it is also a small spring on top of the carb needle.

no 5 here

18982_12.gif

What about the spring that sits inside the plastic retainer from the needle assembly?

Like Bronco said, probably the fuel screw spring, but I remember it being a little longer than that. My memory sucks, though. :ride:

That's correct.

Most people think it is longer than it really is :thumbsup:

I double checked the carb and everything is all together where it suppose to be with the correct parts in the carb. Any other ideas where this could've come from, it's pretty stiff for a small spring