Sign in to follow this  

Recommend a jacket for riding?????

Looking for a jacket to protect my hide when I'm riding my dual sport bike on the road. I've had a couple close calls with deer where I thought I was going to lay it down, once on gravel ond once on blacktop. I'm looking for a jacket that might help from getting road rash and one that will clean up good if it gets dirty. It doesnt need to be warm probably the cooler the better.

Or is there any type of chest protector a person could where under a jacket without it being bulky for some protection.

Thanks

For commuter type duty I only wear a leather jacket. Mine has build in elbow, shoulder and back protection. It's warm in the winter and tolerable in the summer with the inner liner removed and all the vents open.

You gotta chose from levels of protection that are near nil to a full on suit of armor, stuff from $60-70 up to a $2000 deal for pants & jacket with pads & abrasion protection, see Klim.

I run a Acerbis jacket in DS/enduro/cold MX, a full leather Joe Rocket on the street. You gotta chose what you can afford and what you are comfortable with. Something is always better than nothing but pick one you will wear over one you will detest & leave home on a hook!

As far as jackets/coats go, I'm a fan of the Olympia stuff(made in the Carolinas). You could add a Pressure suit or Rock Garden Flack jacket, or something similar under a coat.

I LOVE my tourmaster transitions jacket. It has a liner for colder/night rides and there are like 50435 vents on this jacket. In the summer heat its awesome when you take out the liner. There are shoulder pads, back pads, elbow pads. Super tuff material, I would feel totally confident in this jacket if i were to have an off. The jacket has numerous buckles and adjustable straps to really fit the jacket to your body. There are some reflective straps one the front and back so you are visible at night.

I give this jacket a 10 out of 5. I would recommend it to anyone! I got mine for $160

h_kc_black.jpg

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Transition-Series-2-Jacket-p-240_3.html

Hope this helps.

I have a Tourmaster Pivot 2 jacket. It's well made and has come through a few offs without any damage (to me or it). It's a bit warm during the summer though.

You can pick up a decent mesh jacket for around $80, just stay the heck away from anything made by First Gear their stuff tends to shred.

For street riding, leather has been shown to still be the best material. Lots of studies have been done, & for the combination of protection, slowing down the slide & heat resistance, leather outperforms all the other textiles. Kevlar shreds, nylon too, & it melts when sliding on pavement.

If you shop around, good ones can be found for under $100.. clearances, on sale, used, etc. You want it to fit snugly & be the thick leather.. 1.4 mm or so. Most motorcycle specific jackets will state the thickness. Most of them also have some impact protection, too.. shoulder, elbow & back protection. It's not as good as a pressure suit, but every little bit helps.

Dual sport riders have to make compromises, usually. Either we get good impact protection with a pressure suit, knee protection & moto pants, or we get abrasion protection with a leather jacket & pants, with less impact protection. My leather setup has some built in protection in the elbows, knees, etc, but not as much as my full moto gear setup. So i don't usually pick a single protective outfit, but have different ones depending on the kind of riding i'm planning on doing.

The mesh jackets are much cooler.. but provide minimal protection from abrasion. But i like them for off road riding in the summer. On a long pavement ride i'd still wear the leather, though.

Just start your collection. Think of what you'd like to slide down the pavement in, or tumble along in the rocks. Like they say, dress for the crash, not the ride.

scotty:cool:

I LOVE my tourmaster transitions jacket. It has a liner for colder/night rides and there are like 50435 vents on this jacket. In the summer heat its awesome when you take out the liner. There are shoulder pads, back pads, elbow pads. Super tuff material, I would feel totally confident in this jacket if i were to have an off. The jacket has numerous buckles and adjustable straps to really fit the jacket to your body. There are some reflective straps one the front and back so you are visible at night.

I give this jacket a 10 out of 5. I would recommend it to anyone! I got mine for $160

h_kc_black.jpg

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Transition-Series-2-Jacket-p-240_3.html

Hope this helps.

Rode with my transitions jacket yesterday for the first time, Very nice jacket all the straps make it a breeze to adjust, and the vents are really well placed in the jacket. I bought the high vis yellow color for safety. Some of these folks around here are nuts :thumbsup: and will run you right over while looking at the scenery... I agree Its a 10 for me too!

I've got a bunch of gear to handle the different situations I find myself in. I commute on my bike year round and try to do as much dirt as I can.

Helmets:

Shoei RF1000 (street), HJC CL-X5N (dirt)

Jackets:

Fieldsheer Aston (leather, street) and Rev'It Air (summer mesh)

661 Pressure suit (dirt, heavy DS rides)

Pants:

Olympia AirGlide2 (4-season over pants), Rev'It Rotor (summer mesh)

Klim Baja (summer, mesh, dirt)

Also have a Teiz Motorsports Lombard one piece for commuting.

Boots:

Thor 50/50 (summer street), Tourmaster Solution (winter, rain), Alpinestars Scout (DS rides), Alpinestars Tech 6 (retired, dirt/ds boots)

Gloves:

Fox Dirtpaws (dirt), Joe Rocket Sonic (3-season street, longer DS rides), Olympia winter gloves

Go to motoport/cycleport.com..Great equipment there---alot of the reported shredding/melting of equipment is in regard to poor quality all around.

My first jacket that I bought with my first bike last year (DRZ 400) is a neon Mesh Tex and matching pants. Jacket has elbow, back and shoulder pads; pants have knee and hip pads. I've fallen and slid a couple of times on trails (high level of riding aggression relative to low level of riding skill) and have only minor bumps where I would have had ugly tissue gindage and sub-cutaneous gravel and dirt had the gear not been covering my wrinkled hide.

I like the protection and like the neon. I ride on the road with the jacket, pants and a Scorpion Exo neon helmet covering my melon. I glow as I go. I've had bees land on me at a stop lights. And cars see me. Greatest risk on the road, as you probably know, is not being seen and having a mommy pull her mini-van in front of you as you putter down the road at 50 mph. I actually think I cause some drivers alarm. At any rate, I feel visible, and feel safer being seen.

The neon is unnecessary on the trail but the jacket/pants are comfortable with an MX helmet and goggles even on hot North Cackalacky summer days.

I'm still learning to ride, but I love my riding gear.

I like my First Gear Kilimanjaro. It has a liner and good venting when it’s warm out. It might be too warm in hot weather, they make a good mesh jacket too.

What size are you ? My wife says I am a jacket nerd. In my "quest" for the perfect jacket, I have accumulated several in different sizes and am always looking to unload a couple. All are in new or near new condition. Kind of a "grass is always greener" problem that I seem to have.

PM me if you want more info.