Sign in to follow this  

Rusty shims

So after weeks of rain and riding my rear shock seal is finally giving way. During disassembly I found light surface rust on the outer edges of my shims, I know I SHOULD replace them but that may not be in the cards at the moment. Question is... if I lightly remove the rust with as little scour as possible would the thickness of the shims be compromised to the point where the shim stack/performance would be affected?

This would be temporary as I am trying to make race practice tomorrow morning and wont be able to get shims today.

crf450r

Rust...?? :confused:now I'm very interested in this case.:thumbsup: Do you really mean there is some rust on the shim surfaces or do you mean there are couple of shims just worn out? Should't be rusted because shims are in oil bath...?

it may just be a discolration casued by the oil. the valve buckets in some motors will get htis on them.

Well based on the fact that I rode during rainstorms and through 2ft+ deep puddles while the shock was leaking (unknowingly), I expect that I sucked up a tiny bit or more of water into the shock via the leaking seal. The last bit of oil that drained out was a bit foamy I recall, so I hope that would be the culprit as it is defiantly spotty surface rust and not discoloration.

It has a small amount of texture if I drag my nail across it, consistent with rust. I am using steel wool and it is coming off with ease so I think im good... We will see! Thanks guys for the input

ok i wouldnt go crazy on it since IT MAY change it a lil bit but i highly doubt it will, jsut soak it in some WD-40 when its done, dry off and put back together.

Think I went to school with a guy named Rusty Shims? :thumbsup::ride:

Just surface them on some 400 sandpaper. And it's not likely they rusted in a few days from the shaft seal recently leaking.