Sign in to follow this  

torque on two stroke plug?

I am anal about spark plug torque after the dealer didnt torque my mom's spark plugs down enough and they broke off in the cylinder head. How do I get the correct torque on a liquid cooled two stroke?? this tool is handy but it isnt a torque wrench?

http://www.streetbikerider.com/h-accessories/motion-pro/pr-accessories-motion-pro-atv-tool-and-supply-ignition-ratchet-spark-plug-wrench.htm

Unfortunately you really have to go off of feel on the 2 strokes. There is not alot of room to work with. I use a very similiar tool to change plugs on my RM and i haven't had a problem yet.

Unfortunately you really have to go off of feel on the 2 strokes. There is not alot of room to work with. I use a very similiar tool to change plugs on my RM and i haven't had a problem yet.

ok so rule of thumb is tighten it until the washer contacts the head, then do half a rotation.

just wondering how they break off from being to loose? are you sure they didnt over tighten them?

if you take the gas tank you can torque them but thats a pain

I just tighten them by feel. As long as you get them somewhere between "tight enough that they don't come loose" and "not so tight that you strip the threads out of the cylinder head" you should be fine.

same problem about fiiting a torque wrench. I use a hidge joint or universal joint , whatever its called

Not to sound like a smartass but I never knew people really torqued their plugs. I always thought the spark plug torque ratings in the manuals were just something to laugh at. Just tighten it up snuggly and you should never have any trouble.

I torqued the last one I put in because I already had the tank off, so I put 18ft lbs on it because it was easy.

Otherwise, I use a regular old MSR plug wrench, and the German torque method, "gudentight".:thumbsup: