Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Basket/Hub - How many hours before replacement?

How many hours are you getting out of you clutch baskets and hubs before they need to be replaced? I'm at around 180 metered hours and have just replaced the plates (second set) and basket. While I was in there I looked at the hub and it was also grooved a bit. Since replacing the basket helped but didn't totally get rid of the grab I am going to order a new Hinson hub. I couldn't find any forged out there for an '06 KX250.

Is it normal to replace the hub, basket and plates with so few hours? Or am I just harder on the clutch then I think I am?

i think you are lucky you got that much time out of a stock set. i dont think kawis clutches have always been the best, not sure if the later model stuff was adressed, but my 98 kdx eats baskets pretty quickly. i have filed the original one twice, then replaced it a while ago when i did a top end, i have 2 gallons of oil through it, so 64 gal of permix, whatever that works out to, my hour meter broke, and its still good but lost a little bit of smoothness, i havnt inspected it yet. but im still on the stock plates, replaced the springs a while ago.

Depending on hard you ride. I'd seen some bike ridden easy and have very little wear or grooves. The you take a race bike or a bike that ridden hard frequently and I'd seen a stock cast unit last about 8 months before plates started sticking. A billet unit will last much longer.

If you choose to spend the money, barnett uses stainless steel inserts in the basket fingers, It's hard to beat that.

Depending on hard you ride. I'd seen some bike ridden easy and have very little wear or grooves. The you take a race bike or a bike that ridden hard frequently and I'd seen a stock cast unit last about 8 months before plates started sticking. A billet unit will last much longer.

If you choose to spend the money, barnett uses stainless steel inserts in the basket fingers, It's hard to beat that.

I just put a Barnett basket in with the stainless inserts. What I need now is a clutch hub which I have only found cast or Hinson. The Hinson hub is around $270 which gives me a $500+ clutch. Granted I shouldn't need anything but plates for quite a while. I wish I needed a pressure plate - I would just throw in an auto clutch.