Sign in to follow this  

Idle issue

Hey guys I recently bought a 2000 XRR that was a bit rough around the edges but I got a killer deal on it so why not. The guy I bought it from didnt know much about the bikes history because he got the bike as payment for a job an sold it cus he needed money. But I seem to be having an issue with the idle, the bike fire ups perfectly and idles how it should. But after the bike warms up the idle goes up a noticeable amount. I adjust the idle down and after a little bit it goes back up again.?? almost like they hang for a while and go back down. It seems random.The bike runs fine and I have no problems with it except for this funky idle deal. the bike is uncorked, i have a 175 main jet and a 68s pilot (elevation is at about 200 ft) I also did a valve adjustment and and cleaned the carb out, the bike runs and starts much smoother than it did before. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas what the problem could be?

My first guess is that you have a vacuum leak. Check for air leaks everywhere. Some people use carb cleaner to help find them. Also make sure your throttle cable is operating correctly, and not hanging up.

Does the idle creep up without ever touching the throttle? If so, I too would suspect a vacuum leak.

If the idle sticks high after giving it even a little throttle, then I would say the slide isn't returning completely to the bottom of its travel. That can be caused by a sticking linkage, sticking cable, or worn carburetor slide and bore.

Yea the throttle would go up without touching the throttle sometimes. But i checked the throttle cable and there didnt seem to be much freeplay but it seemed to return all the way.

Il loosen the throttle up and see if that helps. But i just got into the biking scene last summer so id consider myself a "semi-noob" so where would i start if im looking for a vacuum leak?

You'd probably start by getting a can of "Engine start"..Ether in a can which you generally use for starting troublesome Diesels. Start the bike..let it warm up to normal idle speed and spray it round the carb to head manifold or that general vicinity..Change in sound of the motor indicates a leak

sweet il get straight to it when i get a chance, (finals week is comming up:lame: ) but say i do find a leak how would i go about fixing it? do i go buy something special from the store?

Its been decided!! Vacuum leak!! Spray some carb cleaner around the area between the carb and the head boot with the engine running. If you get an idle change when you spray, you found your leak.