Sign in to follow this  

Washington Bike/Gear shops South Sound

So I'm going to be purchasing a few things here in the near future, boots, roost deflector, backpack, gearbag etc. I have in mind what I'd like to buy and what not but I'd like to see the product prior to purchasing (always looking for the best deal too).

There is a Cycle Gear near my house but they don't seem to carry much variety.

Things I'm looking at specifically are:

Gaerne SG12 boots VS SIDI crossfires

Thor Sentinel roost deflector VS Thor quadrant underjersey roost deflector

Camelback Hawg or Mule vs OGIO Baja pack

Answer Gear bag vs [insert other here]

Anyone know of any bike or gear shops that carry these items that is not an unreasonable drive from the south sound (I live in Tacoma and work in Tukwila)?

RMC in Renton is practically in Tukwilla. I looked at those two boots. I tugged on them, pushing them side to side and bending them. I felt like the SG 12's had much better protection especially with the use of molded plastic. The Sidi's just kind of felt soft and flexy, but still a very good boot and comfortable. I wish all boots came with an upward flexion lockout of the foot/ankle like the Tech 10's have.

Do you even have a bike yet?

In hindsight on my last boot purchase, I would've gone with gaerne sg10 or 12's....I have heard that SIDI's are comfy but potentially lack ankle stability (broken ankles) but that is an unstantiated rumor.

water systems - Ogio....Camel supports greeenies...mine is a NorthFace I found in discount section at now-out of business GI Joes

bags - whatever works for you

chest protectors - I run the 661 roost w/no plastic back. Nice since I am always carrying a back-pack or something

Shops...Several around you and in between. RMC,Hinshaws, Cycle Gear...East of you, I-90 for sure and a whole bunch more that are out there.

Do you even have a bike yet?

Yes and no. :ride: (as always.)

I'm headed to Baja in April and have a bike lined up for that trip. I'm racing in Idaho City in June and have a bike lined up for that. Anytime I'm in Utah I have a bike lined up to ride (will be there in September next, was there last December and got a good ride in, was great).

Then there's a bike up here that I can sometimes ride as well, but it's sporadic.

Still don't have money to buy one of my own. :thumbsup: But there's a chance this fall I'll be given stewardship of one (that will end up transferring ownership to me if the pieces fall in the right place) so that could end the drought. If it doesn't, I have been saving for a while now and if I keep it up by the time I get taxes filed in 2011 I should have enough to get a decent used bike. So either way I think this will be the last year I go without!

And thanks for the responses about the stuff! I'll be checking out those places soon!

I don't know how you've been so patient...probably out of necessity/reality. That being said, I would have done whatever possible to have a bike!

Believe me it's been killing me. :thumbsup: But I just don't have the money to throw down (and I'm extremely reluctant to buy something like what I rode in Utah - don't get me wrong I loved that old Blue Tank - 02 WR426 - but the cost of upkeep per year is a lot when they're old and worn down) yet. I'll be joining the ranks for sure in 2011 though...and hopefully by 2012 I'm in a situation where I can race full time again!

South Sound Honda and South Bound Honda.....

They will carry everything and I can tell you that these guys support the local offroad scene! Super cool people.

South Sound is a good choice, Cycle Gear also has Tacoma store on 38th. Hinshaws in Auburn carries Thor stuff. A

And if you mail order with Cycle Gear and you don't like the item you just return it to the nearest Cycle Gear store. You can also order in the store and reject the item when it arrives.