Sign in to follow this  

Knocking on Decel

Alright I just cant seem to solve this problem. I have 94 cr250 bottom end with a 00 cylinder. Has a wiseco piston and seems to run just fine but when I rev the engine it bangs/knocks on decel. I'm running the 00 pwk carb with I think 45p and 178m on 3rd clip. I'm going to try the 48p but it shouldnt make that much of a difference. Anything I'm missing here guys? BTW I'm at sea level and run 91octane

anyone?

Give the 48 a try but I think a 50 will be the best bet for you. How many AS turns out are you?

banging/knocking like in the pipe? if so maybe air leak where pipe connects to cylinder?

banging/knocking like engine mechanical noise? check that crank main bearings OK by pushing up & down on flywheel, there should be no play. con rod bearings? piston hitting head? (did you measure squish?)

Sounds like it could be detonation to me. Try running higher octane and see if it goes away.

Well I put in new factory crank bearings and seals. I run 91 octane so maybe I'll try some race gas to see if it does anything. I dont think its the pipe manking noise, this is all on decel and sometimes just idling, on the pipe it runs hard and strong, no pinging or knocking. I tried messing with the timing and it did nothing. I also put in the 48p and it didnt do anything if anything it made it worse. It runs strong but this just bugs me and i cant figure it out.

Im in the process of timing the bike but it seems my Snap on timing gun wont work because the rpm guage is way off, is there a certain timing gun that I need to time the bike?

check your piston to head clearance, that usually happens on de accel,its the piston just barely tapping the head.Since you are running a newer cylinder you may have clearance issues, maybe not but worth a try