Sign in to follow this  

getting a plate

im going to try an find a xr400 or 600 that is plated in PA but if i cant how hard is it to get one plated in PA.

thanks

Kawie

:thumbsup:

It's really not too hard as long as you do the steps right. Lot's of info in the dualsport forum. Search using PA or Pennsylvania. I'll give you the short version it involves paperwork (reconstruction application forget actual name), a special inspection station, and your offroad title and off course all the proper street legal equipment added with receipts to show you payed sales tax if not there is another form to turn in so you can pay it.

I always look for a bike that's already been plated, it saves you time,money and the hassle of doing it yourself.

A DSK will run you 400 to 500 bucks and than you need DOT tires to boot.

Plus your time installing the tires and kit.

Here's the step I used last year.

Install dual sport kit.

Take bike to "enhanced inspection station"

Inspection was done in a couple hours. He filed all the papers with the state.

I did no paper work other than show receipts for bike and dual sport kit. Provided insurance info.

Wait, Wait , wait. It was like 2 months. They called and said bring the bike back, he put on my inspection sticker, and plate. Gave me a new registration showing "MC" not off road. I got a new title in the mail about a month after that.

Done.

All in all, very easy. Cost was about $200 for everything - Tax on the kit pa 6 %, State fees and inspection stations fees.

It's so easy I have thought about buying new bikes and getting them plated here and then selling them on ebay.

Now I have a 2007 XRR plated in PA.

Good Luck with yours.