Sign in to follow this  

Can I use K+N oil on a UNI filter?

Just as the title asks... Forgot to get UNI brand oil, but a friend left his K+N oil here and i am wondering if that oil will hurt the foam at all, slapped my old moose filter back on for a test ride.

Just got done with my GSXR pipe install/air box/DJ kit/Slide drilling.

OH YEAH!! way better sound and performance. Lifted the front tire on tar by accident! Its like a whole new bike! appreciate the search feature on this site, thanks to all that helped even though you dont know you did...

MIKE

Do not use K&N oil on a foam filter as it is way too thin to use on a foam filter, and not tacky enough.

Just for the cost of the K&N oil alone I wouldn't do it. Regular motor oil will be fine... then later when you pick up some of the tackier foam filter oil you can clean and re-oil the filter. Old crusty individuals like me have put thousands of miles on the dirt and street using motor oil in our foam filters with no engine thrashing events to report. Not saying the new filter oils aren't better but you have nothing to worry about using motor oil in most situations. :thumbsup: It would be a ridiculous motorcycling atrocity to not ride your hugely improved DR650 for that reason. :ride::lol:

Using motor oil for foam air filters may be fine for a DR650 that doesn't see too much dirt however it's not ordinarily a good idea. Most of the oil ends up in the bottom of the air box. I realize that in the past, using motor oil was suggested by some manufacturers like Yamaha for instance but it's still not a good idea.

Young riders don't recall a time when there was no "foam filter oil" :ride: Actually every manufacturer suggested motor oil at one point....

XR Honda shop manual: 10-40 motor oil. DR Suzuki shop manual: 10-40 motor oil.

Just sayin it ain't the end of the world to use motor oil. I never lost an engine because of it.... do I use foam filter oil now? Well, yeah! :thumbsup:

thanks everyone, the moose air filter was still oiled up and fairly clean. I will treat the UNI with motor oil tomorrow...

Rode 150 miles today. AWESOME love that throaty sound.