Sign in to follow this  

do you need pit for gas durring a two hour HS?

entering one in a few weeks and a really don't know if my bike goes two hours im pretty sure a few years ago i did a two hour with my RM250 on one tank.

Now I have a 07 YZ250 2.1 gallon stock tank.

I ride a 2ST KTM and can run about 1 hour/gallon when racing HS. It may depend on the course (fast or slow) and your riding style. For example, do you wick the throttle a lot? If I were you I wouldn't plan to pit, but woudl leave a gas can there anyway. You should be good for at least 45 miles. They'll tell you how long each lap is, say its 12 miles long and if they have yu starting that fourth lap, I'd fuel up. If not, no worries, no gas required. I think my tank is 2.6 gals and I've never re-fueled.

Fill it to the brim and you should be alright. Unless you come in at 1hr 59min, and have to go another lap, then you might be in trouble.

Stopping for gas in a 2 hour HS will pretty much make for a sure back of the pack finish. Only way to know for sure, is to risk the DNF and go for it.

A 2.1 gallon tank is probably good for only 35 miles. I would plan on filling up at least once during a H/S.

Dwight

thanks still not really sure what I'll do might put like a quart in my back pack just in case.

it realy depends. In one instance I was racing 250C and I have a friend who was in SR A. We were both on YZ250s. I did 3 laps and had almost 3 cups of gas left, only enough for a few miles. My friend did 4 laps, and ran out of gas about a mile from the finish. His smoother riding got him about 8 miles more on a tank.

I have an '06 YZ250F and I've done a 2 hour HS without filling up. You should be fine.

I have an '06 YZ250F and I've done a 2 hour HS without filling up. You should be fine.

The two strokes use a lot more fuel. In an area that uses a lot of throttle, like sandy areas, my 03 YZ250 would be lucky to make it 40-45 miles, especially early in the season when I am jetted richer.

Most 2 strokes get less than 18 mpg under racing conditions. Most 4 strokes get about 24 mpg. You figure it.

Dwight

RM250 here... jetted as lean and crisp as is safe.

When trail riding... gravel road, two trak, single trak, I can get up to 30 miles per gal.

Tight single trak at more of a race pace... 15-20 MPG.

If you decide you like HS, enduros, and want to run more of them, an oversized tank is nice.

The two strokes use a lot more fuel. In an area that uses a lot of throttle, like sandy areas, my 03 YZ250 would be lucky to make it 40-45 miles, especially early in the season when I am jetted richer.

Whoops I was thinking he had the four stroke model I read that wrong. :thumbsup: Disregard everything I just said. :ride:

'08 KTM 250XC, 2.9 gallon tank. Just raced a 54 mile hare scramble in sand without stopping. But I have a VERY smooth riding style.

If it's your first race you should plan on stopping. You'll probably need a break for a drink and some fresh goggles anyway. Plan it right and it shouldn't cost you more than about 45 seconds, which is a lot if you're shooting for a good overall finish. But for your first race you should concentrate on having fun and just feeling it out for future races.

I did a 24 hr event on my KX250 and was using a bit more then 1 gallon each 24 mile lap. It was a lot of high speed stuff with only a couple of low speed technical sections. I know I will use a gallon in 12-15 miles of hard trail riding/enduro conditions.

I am old and slow so your mileage may vary... :banana: