Sign in to follow this  

CTi Knee Braces

I posted it in the health and fitness in the General Forums section, but because the categories in the Main page is so broad, this discussion might be a bit null there.

So'll post it here instead, since this forum is geared to track-only MX'ers.

Just some info since Google search on this is pretty useless.

This is geared for those of you that have good medical insurance. Otherwise I would just buy asterisks or equivalent.

If you want a set, this is how it works.

Give them a call. Used to be Innovation Sports, now its owned by Ossur.

800-233-6263. Its in Foothill Ranch CA. you can see the Oakley factory from there.

Tell them you ride and want/need a set. They will refer you to a Dr who they are used to working with in your area. You go see the doc, tell him your knee hurts to walk after you ride. (the way you describe it is critical. You can’t say you need it to ride, you need to complain about your daily struggles)

Usually, he’ll know the routine, and he’ll write you up a prescription.

The doc will refer you to an orthopedic place that’s where they will verify insurance (do not proceed until you know how much out of pocket you’ll be paying, the orthopedic place will tell you) and measure you for the braces.

And that’s it. Depending on how good coverage is and your deductable, you may be a couple hundred to nothing.

I know it seems like an insurance scam, but that’s how the medical industry works.

This all came about cause I’m trying to get mine refurbished, and found no info online. (Over time, the braces loosen up and have play in the hinge) They told me insurance won’t cover it. You can send it directly to Ossure and they do a complete refurb to almost new, fresh paint, new straps, everything for $210 ea.

Got mine for free a couple years ago. Had them refurbished once and will probably send them out again at the end of this year or the end of next year if they can make it.

Just curious how well they work? I've had an ACL replacement, PCL and meniscal repair on my right knee and my left ACL is showing signs of abuse and a repair in the near future says my doctor so riding my 09 450 has become more like walking on egg shells vs. kicking some a--!! any info would be appreciated and good thread!!

They work awsome. It is almost like you have nothing on.

sounds like a trojan commercial... :banana:

insurance covered mine completely. just went to see my primary care and asked him to write me a script.

drive01 - - - thanks for the information. I've been researching knee braces and insurance coverage and your post sounds like the right procedure to follow.

I also found an archived source that was worth reading. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-69973.html

I'm an older rider (57) with knee injuries that have been around since high school. I'm getting tired of the constant knee slipping and grinding when standing on the pegs. After a day of riding my knees swell up and it takes a few days to get back to normal. I'm hoping that the braces provide the additional support that my old knees would like.

I injured my left knee again last month and the ortho doc said "you're knees are worn out." I don't want to do a knee replacement yet - too young - but I want to remain active and do the riding I like now.

I have found taking Glucosamine & Chondroitin capsules a miracle cure for my trashed knees. Takes a minimum of a month to work. I realised the pain wasn't occurring. Almost all grinding gone. Can now do pain free one leg squats.

I'm 47, had one knee reconstruction, diagnosed as needing two more. (Not three legs, reconstruction destroyed...)

I use Cti braces, find no support when riding, but fantastic crash/caught foot protection.

I'm 47 and like track riding, my knees at the end of the day and for days after would be so sore I that walking was difficult. I tried pre-medicating with Ibuprophen, seems to have worked. But I wonder if the knee braces would help?

As mentioned I don't feel the Ctis help when riding, but offer great protection. My friend claims his PODs support his knees. Try the "Joint Food" I recomended - Miracle and not expensive, health food shops or even supermarkets over here.