Sign in to follow this  

Help! 2003 525/exc or 2007 525/exc

Ok guys I need some quick input on this one.. I have two bikes I'm looking at. Money is tight but I can afford both with a little extra pain for the 2007.

Option 1

2003 KTM 525/exc

Comes with:

GPR-2 Steering Stabilizer

Extra 2003 KTM MXC tank

Extra 2003 MXC seat

Power Now valve

JD Jetting Kit

TM Designs Chain Guard

EE hand guards and Clutch slave cylinder protector

Original rear spring (never used). Plus 2 in rear now

Original front springs (never used). Plus 1 in front now

Replacement front springs (plus 2). Used twice

Spare headlight and headlight mask

Repair Manual CD

About 240 hours on the bike

Know the guy, real good about maintenance

Price $3000

Option 2

2007 525/exc

hand guards

Armor below the engine.

Every thing else is totally Stock

32 hours on the bike

Price $4200

Which one would you buy and why. I'm an intermediate rider who owned both the KTM 360 exc and the KTM 300 exc. My decision to purchase the KTM 525 is based solely on research.

Both are excellent bikes, and while I don't believe that the '07 is 100X better it is the safer bet primarily because everything on it is newer. If you like to tinker on bikes and the '05 is in excellent condition and runs well, you might consider it. The extras on the '05 are nice. At 240 hrs, it will likely need some top end attention in the near future in the form of rings and valves. Another plus for the '07 is that it is factory street legal which is a big consideration in many states like CA, OR, NV, etc, where street plating dirt bikes any more is extremely difficult.

I appreciate the response. I had heard the 07 feels "down on power" compared to the 03 and also a little more prone to overheating. Is there any truth to these statements? At the same time I also understand the frame on the 07 is a better design and the suspension is much improved. So there seems to be positives and negatives. I appreciate the head comment since it was one of my concerns with the 03. But then at $3k with all the extra's I was torn if the 07 was really the right way to go.

The '03 and '07 engines are basically identical. The stock '07 is down on power and overheats more readily because of the lean DOT jetting and the additional exhaust restriction; both conditions are easily remedied. Yes the '05 - '07 frames were stiffened a little and the '07 suspension is improved. Chances are is that the '03 stock suspension has already been re-valved by this time.

Purchased the 07 this morning. One !#$!#$ of a bike. 1st dirt bike I've ever been on which exceeds my old 360 two stroke in power, plus the handling is amazing. I purchased a KTM 300 exc back in 2002 and was disappointed with the power and performance. Actually ended up keeping my 1997 360 and sold the 300 a year later..... I think this time there’s no looking back. :thumbsup: