Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about picking up and parting out another DRZ

So I am thinking about starting a project and since I want to keep everything DRZ it will require me to butcher a perfectly good DRZ. My question is this at what price do you think I can break even minus say $400 between the purchase price and the part out?

Let's assume for ease of speculation that it is a drz400e of the 2001-2005 persuasion, all the parts are in decent mechanical condition and that I will not be selling the main frame cradle, swing arm, rear shock, or wheels.

Not looking to make money just minimize the damage to the "momma don't know" account. I figure the engine part of it should be easy to sell considering that I could drop it off at Eddies shop for someone looking for a stroker/BB but doesn't want to rip everything out and send it off and the FCR should be pretty easy to sell. I dunno. Has anyone gone thru this and have any advice?

Edited by HIX

I parted an E a couple years ago. It had been hit by a car. Fork bent, frame bent and front rim. I did quite well I basically broke even and I kept the engine carb and electrics. I have a nice selection of bits. Strangely I kept all the usual things that fail. I have yet to use any.

The prices have dropped significantly on e-bay since then though. I have noticed a general down ward trend. Of course it depends on which bit you want. Plus e-bay and paypal rape you now.

I think it can be worth it. It really depends on what you pay and what you keep vs what your time is worth. All that effort was a PITA. If the "right" deal fell in my lap I'd do it again.

I would say the wheels, a good running E motor, and the carb should bring close to $1400.....the rest is just gravy. The forks, swingarm, sub frame and misc. aren't really going to bring much though....maybe another $250 if you are lucky. Unless you got a cherry bike with good plastics (not likely with an E) and maybe an aftermarket pipe you are about done as far as purging money out of it.....just leftover stuff for a parts bin. You might be able to Ebay some small stuff but when you consider the time to ship low value parts you might as well keep them for spares. Bottom line...you have to get a very good deal on a good running bike to make it work for you....unless you need big money parts like a complete motor or a set of wheels. But that said....I understand funding bike parts with hard work and wheeling and dealing thing.... I have a "momma don't know" account too.

Edited by dirtwiz

Well I am going to go look at a bike tomorrow that would appear to be a decent condition low mile 400e, not titled but has the original purchase documentation. Supposedly has upgraded suspension, aftermarket pipe, yada yada. We'll see. Since I want the frame, swingarm, rear shock and wheels I'll be happy if I can make 1k back by selling the motor, front forks and carb. I am really not interested in spending the time and energy selling individual parts so I'll probably just give away the rest for shipping and have a box of spares. Like I said not looking to turn a profit, just minimize my loss since people aren't exactly selling just drz frames and wheels

I'd say you should be good up to a high side of $1800 to $1900. What are you planning?

Let me know if you get it, I would be interested in some of the bits that you don't need........:banana:

I parted out an 07 SM a couple years ago rather than sell it outright. I had the time, and needed the money. I could have probably gotten $3000 out of the bike as a whole, made quite a bit more than that parting it out. Think I got $850 for the motor, around $650 for the frame, forks were like $650, etc etc. I ended up giving a bunch of stuff away too. I'd usually throw in an extra part or two if someone would pick them up locally.

Engines are hit or miss. An E engine does not have the same pedigree as S or SM. So the range varies greatly. Plus you need someone who wants it. I had 3 auctions that never met my reserve (quite reasonable) before I sold mine. Some were bidding just to see how cheap they could get it with the clear intent to resell the item. That's fine if you are not worried about it.

Go in with your eyes open and realistic expectations you'll do fine.

If the difference in what I bought it for and what I part the bike out for is the same as the price I can pick up a set of dirt wheels in the classified I'll be fine. I have a bunch of things I'd like to try out but don't want to do to my bike till I get all the kinks worked out

If it has an FCR MX 39mm carb or a Yoshi system on it PM me! Then you can avoid eBay fees :banana:

I parted my totalled DRZ (I bought it back from the ins co.) and made enough to buy a new-to-me DRZ with enough left over for plenty of mods......I'd say do it if you have the time and space (to store the stuff) as you go.

Oh, and I only sold my stuff on TT, and only had great dealings with the TT members on here.

If it has an FCR MX 39mm carb or a Yoshi system on it PM me! Then you can avoid eBay fees :lol:

Good point- UTILIZE the forums. Thumpertalk, I was able to use SMJ but you can't now... ADVrider, etc. That way its free, you can set a no BS price, and its probably going to a good person. I did get one hate letter about a mirror for the DR-Z I sold him for the price of shipping- the dude complained that it was scratched and told me he hoped I wrecked hard again. :banana:

I picked up a 02 E for $1000 and have been parting it out slowly. I got the big stuff out of the way first (wheels, cams, head, carb) and now I just sell something when I need some dough for parts

thinkin ab picking up another one too, or maybe I'll just pass it along to somebody else.

TT, SMJ, and other forums are your friend