Sign in to follow this  

Rear shock spring removal

I've been working on trying to remove the swing arm from my DR650. I want to check up on the bearings and make sure everything is in good shape. I have an issue though. In order to get the swing arm out, I have to remove the bolt that connects the shock to the linkage parts. Here comes the problem.

I'm concerned about removing this bolt (the one that connects the bottom of the shock to the linkage) because there appears to be a huge amount of pressure on the shock and spring (pre-load).

When I pull this bolt out, I just can't see how I will control the energy in the shock/spring. Maybe worse yet, how in the heck am I going to get the bolt back in. I tried to compress the shock using all of my force and there is no way it is going to happen. How do you guys handle this type of thing? Do I need to try to reduce my pre-load on the spring? If so, the manual says I'll need a special tool for that (I do not have it). Any advice?

The only reason I can see why you would have load on the rear shock is taht the bike needs to be supported with the rear wheel off the ground so the swing arm is unloaded. Then there will be no issue with removing the lower shock bolt. You will just have to support the weight of the swingarm as you remove the bolt.

What BW64 said. When i lowered my bike, i put the bike on a stand that supported the weight of the bike from the frame, and i used a 2x4 and a fulcrum to apply leverage to the bottom of the wheel to raise it up so that i could get the bolt holes to line up to get the bolt back in. When the bike is off the ground an the weight is off of the rear wheel, the shock is extended and the spring pressure is constrained by the limit stops within the shock body itself.