Sign in to follow this  

Header wrap, a good idea or bad?

I just bought a CLEAN 06 kx450f and it has a white bros exhuast on it. I'm sure most of you know that it does not come with a heat sheild and burns my pants. My first instinct is to put header wrap on the pipe which will solve that problem but will it cause problems like rusting the exhuast or weakening it becuase it keeps all the heat in? Or any problems that i have not heard of.

Any advice would be great!!

I just made my own. I cut the head guard off my stock header, drilled two holes in each mount, and clamped it on via hose clamps. its worth its weight in gold!!

+1

Make a shield of your own if you can't find one anywhere. Yup, wrap is tough on the pipe. It really dissolves the pipe if there's ANY moisture contained in it when you park the bike.

I'd only put it on a stainless pipe. I put it on my XR400 header to keep radiated heat from the pipe from making back into the engine. It also is supposed to help scavenge gases, speeding up exhaust flow.

thats a great idea. I just chalked that heat shield as useless. Thanks!!!

You can,but it's not going to look as good as one of these:thumbsup:....

E-LINE-P1861-0148-0147-2T.jpg

can you send me that link. I tried to search for it but couldnt find it

This is just a pic i got off bing,this is just a Moose by E-Line straight section heat shield(comes in 6 and 8 inch),and if i remember the white bros head pipe is long and straight so it should work.The only place i can think that has it is dennis kirk($69.95),but TT or some other places may have it too,hope this will help you.

I seen a product review of that CF guard right after I made my first post in here.. I cant find it now. it should be in the exhaust section but its not :thumbsup: