Sign in to follow this  

Trees and stabilizers

Just purchased a Scotts stabilizer. I know that they are good for rocks and roots but what about slamming trees? The dealer I got mine from said that you can hit small to mid sized trees at a decent pace and that the stabilizer will do the rest. I would like to hear from the voice of experiance before I hear from the house of pain. Thanks Ron.

I doubt it will keep you strait after hitting a tree. I have a gpr and it is really nice, but it only assists in keeping the bike strait, it won't plow down a tree over say 1"thick.

i have a gpr also and im sure the scotts works semilar in keeping the bike from being twitchy(unstable).if you hit a tree you are gonna get hurt! now i have been going pretty fast and just brushed the trees and it kept the bars from being ripped out of my hands and giving me just that much more time to correct before hitting more trees dead on.as for just hitting them,not gonna help.

ive knocked trees really hard with my bars before and been able to keep things gathered up and keep going.

LOL one raqce last year i swear the first lap i hit every tree on every corner. when i was going over the bike afterwords i found that i had bent the side mount bolts for the bark busters on both sides!

ive got a stab for my bike just havent put it on yet because im not sure ill need it.

ive knocked trees really hard with my bars before and been able to keep things gathered up and keep going.

LOL one raqce last year i swear the first lap i hit every tree on every corner. when i was going over the bike afterwords i found that i had bent the side mount bolts for the bark busters on both sides!

ive got a stab for my bike just havent put it on yet because im not sure ill need it.

That is what my dealer was talking about. I don't believe he was saying to hit a tree dead on but it is able to hit them using the sides, the last inch or two from the end of the bars, of the bark busters. Although he did say he hit a fence post dead on by mistake and the stabilizer keep the bike straight.

The dealer was right. I have hit trees pretty hard and it keeps the bars from locking to one side. Doubt it would matter for anything over 3rd gear. That function is called the high speed valve. Its the knob that you adjust with a flat blad screwdriver on top, with the black plastic cover on it, that you can adjust. Read about it in your owners manual.:thumbsup:

Just purchased a Scotts stabilizer. I know that they are good for rocks and roots but what about slamming trees? The dealer I got mine from said that you can hit small to mid sized trees at a decent pace and that the stabilizer will do the rest. I would like to hear from the voice of experiance before I hear from the house of pain. Thanks Ron.

Huh?

I try to not hit trees on purpose, I seem to go a bit faster that way. :thumbsup:

I usually articulate my bars so they fit through the narrow stuff.

So your going to use this to counter just blasting through the trees, bouncing off them and using your bark busters to save your hands? Good luck with that.

well for the casual trail rider I guess hitting trees is not an issue. no one is going to hit trees on purpose ! get real guys! if you haven't bounced off trees the your riding in the wide open atv area!

For us that ride fast in the tight single track the stabilizer does a good job along with well mounted bark busters to slap a tree and recover with out a notice. most of what a stabilizer does is keep the rear wheel following the front. with out a stabilizer the rebound

from slapping a tree can lead to ground and pound.

its not a good Idea to get and use a damper for specifically hitting trees but, yes they do help if you slap one.

Huh?

I try to not hit trees on purpose, I seem to go a bit faster that way. :thumbsup:

I usually articulate my bars so they fit through the narrow stuff.

So your going to use this to counter just blasting through the trees, bouncing off them and using your bark busters to save your hands? Good luck with that.

That is not my intent at all. Just asking if I hit one is it going to help keep the bike uprite! Born at nite just not last nite.

It will propably help you in the same way it helps keeping the bars straight if you hit a log or a rock a bit wrong, but it's not an insurance from crashing.

If you are like me and ride tight stuff fast, slapping trees with the bars is something that is going to happen. A steering stabilizer is great at helping maintain a line. Especially with grazing strikes. Bigger hits are obviously going to cause more trouble.