Sign in to follow this  

ims=funky fit?

i just got an ims 3.4 for my '08 wr250 and it's fitting very oddly.

when it sits in place there's easily an inch, really more like 2, gap between the backbone of the frame and the tank. everything lines up and the notches in the tank are accepting the round rubber tank stabilizers on the frame so there doesn't appear to be much i can do about it.

is this normal? has anybody else seen this? did they send me the wrong tank?

it certainly seems odd. if this is the way it's supposed to be then i think i'll return it. maybe they sent me the wrong tank, even though the enclosed sheet with do's and don'ts lists it as compatable with my bike.

oh, and the tank mounting bolt snapped off when i was mocking it up. time for an easy out and new hardware. sheesh.

anyway thanx for any input anyone may have.:thumbsup:

mine fits fine. i would call and talk to ims about your problem.

i don't suppose you could post a picture of yours so i could compare it to mine. maybe from the front a little off to the side kind of thing. it just seems like alot of open space to me but at the same time the radiator cap would be really difficult to get to if it were any tighter so maybe i'm just being over-critical/ stupid about it.

oops, sorry. i just looked it up and the 08 is different then the 05-07 tank i have.

if your conserned about how it fits id just call IMS. they have been known to be willing to help out.

That's the way it fits on my 07 WR. Why IMS made it that way I don't know, but it works fine. It might be that the tank was really designed for the 4T, but I still don't see why there would have to be such a big space between the tank and the frame.

Mine fits that way too. Tighten down the bolt and throw on your seat. If all fits well then you're good to go.

the bolt is in there. it seems nice and solid. i guess i'm just kind of geeked out because i thought it would be a snugger fit in the backbone area, that's all. i'll probably keep it.

eh, Nice plant. :banana:

hard to kill the plastic ficus. lord knows i've tried. i got it out of the living room but the wife won't let me get rid of it altogether just yet. who knows, it may just up and disappear at some point in the near future

Wow, funny I had the same issue.08 TE450, 12.5 L tank.Fitted great at the back, but 15-20 mm gap at the bolt end, or tied in tight at the front and wobbling at the rear.anyhoo, bolted it down,put the seat on , and just rode it.longer!

I'm not going to worry about it.

Fits the same as mine! It doesnt look as good as the stocker, but you can go longer, not hard to switch it back until you need it again!

Just though you lot might like to see the new tank

07032010110.jpg

15032010149.jpg

15032010151.jpg

15032010156.jpg

15032010157.jpg

just need some fuel now:thumbsup: