Sign in to follow this  

Steering and fork axle

Ok two questions...

1. on the steering dampener, to make the steering more dampened, do i turn the knob clockwise or counter? How many clicks is best for you?

2. When installing the front axle, how do i do this to prevent binding? My rear wheel will rotate like 3 times before stopping (on the stand, spun by hand) and the front might do one rotation.

To dampen or tighten up the dampner, turn the knob clockwise. I used to run mine all the way in unitl I drained and filled it with 30 weight oil. Now I run it at about 11 clicks out.

When I install my front axle, I slip it in and snug the axle nut up fairly tight, but leave the pinch bolts loose. Then I remove the 2 pinch bolts from the right side lower fork. Then I carefully wedge a thin and graduall tapered putty knife or gasket scraper in the split until the fork will slide left to right on the axle freely. I then slide the axle inward and let it spring back on its own. Then I pull it outwards and let it spring back on its own. I do this several times and each time I note that it returns to the same spot each time. Once I establish that it consistently returns to the same spot everytime, I then carefull ease the putty knife out of the split and make sure that I do not disturb it from its natural resting spot. Then install the greased pinch bolts and tighten them and the axle nut. Some people will put the bike on the ground and bounce up and down on the front suspension to let the right fork center itself up. That's ok, but I prefer to see it spring back to the same place everytime.

As far as your front and rear tires spinning freely. If you have and o or x ring chain, it won't spin as free as a standard chain. Even a standard chain can slow down ratation if it's binding from rust or wear. Sprocket(s) wear are a factor too. You also have to take into account how much your brake pads are dragging. If your caliper slide pins are not worn, and free and greased, the pads won't drag to much. Also wheel bearing condtion may come into play as well.