Sign in to follow this  

clutch perch question

I have a cheapy ($10) aftermarket perch and shorty lever on my 125. The pull is hard as hell and since I weigh 190lbs and it is a 125 after all, I am always fanning it. Not too good on the old tendonitis. I figure that putting a stock perch and lever back on will help the pull, but I am wondering if any particular setup is better than most? Like, say, the perch from an 01 kx250 may work better than the others, for example. Looking to keep it cable and not hyd.

thanks!

j

Generally a 125 is easy to pull even with a shorty lever. I think I would initially take a closer look at the cable to see if it's your hard to pull problem. Even if it's a new aftermarket cable, sometimes the internal sheathing is not as good as oe and it can bind under a load.

I highly recommend an MSR Raptor clutch lever and perch. It has 3 leverage ratio positions to choose from.

But as was said, also make sure it's not your cable in bad condition or routed improperly.

It's a new cable. It is routed per the manual and what looks like the only way to do it, but it definitely gets snug between the pipe and cylinder. I may mess with it but I/m hoping a differernt perch and lever will help. I'd like to keep it OEM as I could go the super-cheapy ebay route. They're probably all the same but who knows.

You said it's a new cable right, did you oil it before you put it on?

If it's not the cable then just try moving the perch closer to the center of the bike. That way you'll have more leverage to pull with.

Edited by JamesG1019