Sign in to follow this  

Polished Combustion Chamber/Head. Good Idea?

-

I just polished the head on my 250 SX. Thought I would share.

IMG_0583.jpgIMG_0582.jpg

Everyone has always told me you need to polish the head. It had some scratches and pretty bad machine cutter marks, especially up in the dome around the spark plug, from manufacturing I guess. I have another head that doesn't have as much machine marks but has a lot of pitting. I should have taken a before and after shot of this one.

I got carried away and took it to almost a mirror finish. Took the machine marks out with 360# "wet or dry" and water, then took the sanding scratches out with progressive grits 500#, 1000#, 1500# and then polished with MET-ALL aluminum polish and a cloth. It went pretty quick by hand and the jump from 1500# to polish was quick and easy. metallpolish.jpg

Do you think I will see any difference in the way it runs? Power?

What are the advantages in polishing the head?

Deposits don't stick as easily?

How much is good or enough? Like a mirror or stop at some certain grit?

Gary

• Like 1

looks good, but im not sure how it will run, ive heard differant takes about this, if its smooth, fuel will aptomise on it/stick/it will kinda be like sweat on a cold can of pop on a hot day,and some people say the smoother the better. now im not sure which is true but it does look good. id say ur fine tho and might not notice any dramastic changes either way, but may be wrong.

Hahah that's nice but I really doubt it changes anything performance wise. If you want some bling you should polish the outside instead :thumbsup:

the head on a 2st is good to have smooth as well as the exhaust port, the intake port needs to be a little ruff to help atomize the fuel.

It'll definitely clean up easier- I did it too. From what I remember reading it helps to reflect the heat of combustion back into the gas charge.

Yah, like I'm gonna notice 0.05% more power :banana:

It was satisfying to do though, warn't it?

Yeah it was.

It helps to be OCD and ADD and do things like that when you are supposed to be doing other things. :banana:

I'll do the top of the piston to accessorize and take pictures together.

It will be a shame to have them tarnish. When it does, I guess I'll call it patina.

Gary