Sign in to follow this  

What are good knee/shin guards that wont break a femur?

I am hoping to get some knee/shin guards soon and I have never had any while riding MX. I dont want knee braces because it it more likely to break a femur which I could die from. I have seen some knee/shin guards that have a stap above the knee and some that don't. Do you think the guards like Fox titan, Thor force, or any other guard that has a stap above the knee could break a femur? Also, what do you think are the best knee/sin guards? Thanks for any help.:thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure that my thor force guards, which are made of plastic, will break before my femur. That being said, I don't even wear the thigh strap, because it just chafes the crap out of my leg. They are a little bulky under my pants but I've smashed my knees/shins into all kinds of rocks and stuff and never felt a thing. I would recommend them. Though they're the only pair I've owned.

No, I don't think an elastic strap above the knee will break a femur.

I kinda got a chuckle out of the fact that you've been riding MX without knee gaurds all this time and now all of a sudden you're worried about broken bones. Better late than never. Sorry, don't mean to criticize.

Most knee/shin gaurds are worn under your pants, with the shin portion inside the boot. The knee portion kind floats over the knee, unless you get the type that have a strap above the knee.

I think the best knee shin gaurd is the simplest one, not cheapest mind you, but simplest in design.

I've been using these for years. Lots of padding, comfortable and take a lickin.

http://www.bikebandit.com/msr-comp-one-knee-shin-guard

No, I don't think an elastic strap above the knee will break a femur.

I kinda got a chuckle out of the fact that you've been riding MX without knee gaurds all this time and now all of a sudden you're worried about broken bones. Better late than never. Sorry, don't mean to criticize.

Most knee/shin gaurds are worn under your pants, with the shin portion inside the boot. The knee portion kind floats over the knee, unless you get the type that have a strap above the knee.

I think the best knee shin gaurd is the simplest one, not cheapest mind you, but simplest in design.

I've been using these for years. Lots of padding, comfortable and take a lickin.

http://www.bikebandit.com/msr-comp-one-knee-shin-guard

Ya now I want all the protection I can get after breaking my tibia. Im still in a cast but I am hoping to be riding in 6 weeks. Are the knee guard staps made of the same material and go in the same place as the knee braces?

as a paramedic let me just tell you this, no pair of shin guards are gonna break your femur. they will actually help keep it from breaking by distributing the force over a wider area. also the strap is defenitly not strong enough to break your femur, most are made of a stretchy material.

Sorry to hear about your Tibia.

The straps of most gaurds are an elastic band that strap around your calf below the knee and velcro back to the gaurd. Not uncomfortable at all. And the first time you hit your knee against something in a crash you'll be damn glad you had them on.

Same as wearing elbow/forearm gaurds. You do wear those don't you?

Ya now I want all the protection I can get after breaking my tibia. Im still in a cast but I am hoping to be riding in 6 weeks. Are the knee guard staps made of the same material and go in the same place as the knee braces?

my opinion is that knee braces are a good idea i wear astrix braces and have never looked back.I have heard people say that if you wear knee braces and highly supportive boots(gaerne or sidi) that you increase the risk of breaking your femur.I spoke to a doctor about this recently and had it explained to me that your ankle and knee have very limited movement(lateral) but the range of motion in your hip is far greater both lateral and forward and back.The only force i think that could break your femur is if you landed with leg straight and I'm not sure if wearing knee braces would contribute to this.

i could be wrong just my opinion cheers......

I love my EVS Webb knee braces and wont swing my leg over my bike without them on. I have had Knee surgery before, so I'm not willing to risk it. When I did blow my knee out I was wearing Thor Force guards. If you don't want braces for your own reasons, I would definitely say go for those.

I think he is talking about the possibility of the rigid style knee braces causing femur breaks. I have to agree that a solid metal brace over my femur is a lever around which a stress riser can occur , if the brace hits its hyperextension limit, and my leg and body keep trying to bend in that direction, there can be much more serious results than most knee injuries., the EVS web advertises 'crumple zones' which may help to prevent this. I just stick to knee shin guards, for now.

I'm pretty sure that my thor force guards, which are made of plastic, will break before my femur. That being said, I don't even wear the thigh strap, because it just chafes the crap out of my leg. They are a little bulky under my pants but I've smashed my knees/shins into all kinds of rocks and stuff and never felt a thing. I would recommend them. Though they're the only pair I've owned.

Yeah, they will break before your femur. My right one practically exploded when I went down hard on that side. Knee was fine.

My 2-cents: I think a shin guard should include a knee-cap cup. It is too easy to rip-off your knee-cap, without it. I go over the sh*tty straps with electrical tape, as it stretches to a fit that is snug but won't cut-off circulation. Keeps all the knee and shin protection small and tight under your pants. Plus Thor's velcro straps get caught on the liner as they get older so taping 'em keeps 'em snug as the velcro wears out.

I went from the bulky Thor Force to a much lighter 661 shin and knee-cap guard, it has been way better. The Thor stuff was ripping holes in my pants ( where the giant screw is on the articulating part) where I was gripping th e bike with my knees. The 661 protection is sufficient and my pants budget is better for it.

A pair of Asterisk knee braces are wayyyyyy cheaper to replace than a femur. I destroyed a set of Asterisks in RedBuds whoops, and walked away from it. My knee hit the handlebars hard enough to split the kill switch wire. The $100 it takes to replace the cables are well worth it. Especially since I made it through my entire life riding/racing with never having a broken bone.

Guards won't keep your bones from breaking, except maybe your patella. It takes something like 2500lbs of force to break a femur, and no knee pad will save or help you in that situation.

Drink milk and do lots of high impact activities to strengthen your bones.

Guards won't keep your bones from breaking, except maybe your patella. It takes something like 2500lbs of force to break a femur, and no knee pad will save or help you in that situation.

Drink milk and do lots of high impact activities to strengthen your bones.

I'm not sure if I wear any protection, other than my helmet, that is meant to prevent a catastrophic injury if I really eff-up. I wear enough protection ( read minimum) to allow me to get back-up from most incidents at the track, during practice and while racing.:thumbsup:

As for the major injuries? I'm like everyone else on that one, in hoping divine intervention steps in at the right moment. An, as you are going over-the-handle-bars-conversion, if you will.:ride:

But do you think that wearing the Thor knee /shin guards and crashing would break your femur eaiser than if you were not wearing them.

Yeah, they will break before your femur. My right one practically exploded when I went down hard on that side. Knee was fine.

My 2-cents: I think a shin guard should include a knee-cap cup. It is too easy to rip-off your knee-cap, without it. I go over the sh*tty straps with electrical tape, as it stretches to a fit that is snug but won't cut-off circulation. Keeps all the knee and shin protection small and tight under your pants. Plus Thor's velcro straps get caught on the liner as they get older so taping 'em keeps 'em snug as the velcro wears out.

I went from the bulky Thor Force to a much lighter 661 shin and knee-cap guard, it has been way better. The Thor stuff was ripping holes in my pants ( where the giant screw is on the articulating part) where I was gripping th e bike with my knees. The 661 protection is sufficient and my pants budget is better for it.

Are you saying a knee/shin guard will break your femur and your right femur exploded or was it your knee? Im confused.

Well..I am pretty certain that while my Thor Force guard on my right side blew-up and my knee suffered no-ill effects, when I went down hard, if I didn't have them on my knee would have been toast. I'm not too sure what would have happened to my femur, probably nothing, it is hard to break.

That being said I now wear protection that is smaller and doesn't have the articulating part or the size of the Thor Guards. I guess I have to echo the sentiment that was mentioned, that trying to protect against the forces involved that would be needed to break your femur is virtually impossible. When that wreck happens you better hope you have some good karma banked.

Not unlike riding with the knowledge that going headlong into a whoop or a berm is goin' to have tragic consequences regardless of what neck protection you may or may not subscribe to. It is part of riding...You focus on riding within your skill-set, and learn to manage the risk.

When you are a vet rider you have to work on monday, and racing fast and keepin' the injuries to a minimum is vital, in any desire to keep a naggin' wife from makin' you sell your bike and gear. Trust-me. The best protection a rider can have against serious wrecks, is the one they are born with: Between the ears.

ps..the 661 guards you mentioned, look fine. I'm no engineer but as I mentioned don't obsess with breaking your femur so-much.

Sorry to hear about your Tibia.

The straps of most gaurds are an elastic band that strap around your calf below the knee and velcro back to the gaurd. Not uncomfortable at all. And the first time you hit your knee against something in a crash you'll be damn glad you had them on.

Same as wearing elbow/forearm gaurds. You do wear those don't you?

No I dont wear elbow guards. Are they important enough to buy. I have seen them online but have never seen anbody wearing them.

Are you saying a knee/shin guard will break your femur and your right femur exploded or was it your knee? Im confused.

He is saying the plastic/guard itself will actually break, before the huge bone that is your femur will. His right knee guard exploded, but it did its job and he walked away.

I appreciate your concern for safety, and you can never be too safe. But, I think for the most part, everyone is saying that, if you there is enough force to break your femur, it wouldn't matter what you were or weren't wearing, it was going to happen regardless.