Sign in to follow this  

Baja JCR Blackbox

X-ers:

I have a '09 450X and love it so much, riding SoCal Desert. Just had a question about the JCR (and possibly others) X's in the Baja 1000.

What is that black box on the left side of the cylinder for? Some kind of transponder? I know they run some kind of oil cooler, but I noticed it in the photos of Kendall Norman, as well as the big Pro Circuit ad photo on the back cover of one of the latest DB magazines.

Happy Riding!

Yeppers. Just a few years ago, we had to run those things on the rear fender.

2039051516_d80a22dbc2_o.jpg

That's Baja legend Ron Bishop getting ready to start the '07 1000. You can see the yellow transponder on the rear fender. They are smaller now and mounted to the side of the cylinder.

Thanks Krannie, Justin and Motomanx

I suppose it is for automatically processing the checkpoints, like when I raced AMA D37 desert, it was the old primitive crayons and front fender paper. I just thought that an electronic box should be mounted away from heat. Anyway thank you.

Its all cold and wet here in SoCal and I just ran my X in my condo garage out of pure "wanna get outa here but can't". Vapor indicated 198F and I shut her down! Ah that smell!!

Ride (safe and legal) like hell!!

I suppose it is for automatically processing the checkpoints, like when I raced AMA D37 desert, it was the old primitive crayons and front fender paper.

It is much more than just check points. It tracks every 3 seconds and keep tabs on speed as well.

There are some versions that have an accelerometer (sp?) to gauge if the bike has crashed, and some other two way features such as a help button.

It's also much more than a "transponder" ... or less of one, depending on how you look at it.

See... the race doesn't use "gates" or checkpoints with transponders like some enduro or desert races. As of late, it's a passive device that only receives (Motomanx is describing the older unit - not used much anymore as it's too costly, and was called E-Track) and is called the Iritrack.

Read more about the latest uses here; http://www.racetheworld.net/ircstore/

They do make units that are more heavily used for two way comm in race vehicles (E-Track used with Sat track), but on bikes/quads it's the simpler all included unit (runs on internal battery - where the e-track could use external and had two external antennas as well) of the Iritrack.

Back in the day, the yellow fender mounted option was called a "rally logger" and it too had it's own issues. As some found ways to erase it, and hide the fact you were doing 100mph down the 60mph roadway. There were no penalties for missing data back then. Now, there are more concise ways to check for bad data, rather than erased data or simply 'dark' spots of tracking information.