Sign in to follow this  

02 Crf450r no spark????? NEED HELP. Second guessing my self

Ok I have gone through my manual and have tried to test the coil, cdi, and stator on my bike.I have gone over the wirring and checked for continuity as well. When I connect my multi-meter up to the stator it hardly produces enough volts to register 0.87 to 1.14 ish. It calls for a minimum of 50v. So my question is how do I know for sure its my stator? Does the CDI tell the stator to produce voltage, which then goes to the coil and then to the plug? How do I know the CDI is ok? I cant really test my coil if Iam unsure of the stator and CDI?Will the stator produce over 50v with a bad CDI? I am reluctant to put in another stator and have the same problem, NO SPARK! I need Help!!!:thumbsup:

As far as I know there is no test for the cdi box, unless Honda has something not available to the public. You best bet if you suspect the cdi box, is to "try a known good unit". The ignition coil has a primary and secondary ohms value and is easy to check with an ohm meter. The last two times I lost spark on my 02, it was the stator. I finally bought a new oe stator and have had no problems. Sorry, not alot of technical info.

Ya I hear the 02 stators are know to be faulty. Mith or truth not sure, but there are alot of forums on 02's with replaced stators. Did you put in a used oem, new or aftermarket?:thumbsup:

You need a meter and you can check the resistance across the stator. If its not high enough, the stator is shorted and wont produce enough voltage.

When the flywheel spins, it causes the stator to produce voltage to the CDI to fire the coil. There is more to it than that, but its what you need to understand to figure out what youve got going.

My bet would be a bad stator. It could just be shorted somewhere near the outputs.

Pull the cover on the shifter side and see if there is a bunch of iron debris on it. If there is, youve got far bigger problems than a stator.

RickyStator makes a pretty good replacement thats cheaper than the OE part.

I have an 03 and stator recently went.Other TT members have also recently had thier stator go. I was lucky I got a stator,wire harness, coil and cdi off ebay for 72 dollars including shipping. Just check ebay there are some good deals.

Tell me more about, YOU HAVE A FAR BIGGER PROBLEM!

I know it sounds simple, but have you checked EVERYWHERE a wire could rub. I have seen plenty of "bad stator's" that turned out to be wires rubbed clean shorting out on the frame.

My .02$

Ya I went through the wires with my mutie-meter to make sure I had no broken wire issues. Thanks for the reply!

You need a meter and you can check the resistance across the stator. If its not high enough, the stator is shorted and wont produce enough voltage.

When the flywheel spins, it causes the stator to produce voltage to the CDI to fire the coil. There is more to it than that, but its what you need to understand to figure out what youve got going.

My bet would be a bad stator. It could just be shorted somewhere near the outputs.

Pull the cover on the shifter side and see if there is a bunch of iron debris on it. If there is, youve got far bigger problems than a stator.

RickyStator makes a pretty good replacement thats cheaper than the OE part.

I woould like to say thanks for the replies and info first, but as I get deeper into this magneto/stator collecting the fine metal shavings thing I start to wonder? I have a stainless filter that dosent need replacing, only a cleaning, and probally can not pick up that fine, or should I say very fine metalic particals that the stator picks up, being that it is a magnet. Is there a major problem or is the stator helping me by collecting the debrie as every engine will wear over time and collect some where.What if I had a magnetic oil cover and had no stator debrie, would that make it OK.:banana:

I would say yes , as long as when you have the left side cover off , grab the ign rotor and see if it has any play ,up or down or side to side , if it does this means that your main bearings are worn , if not , do not worry and get a magnetic oilfilter cover and be done with it after you clean off the metal fuzz on the ign. rotor.

I would say yes , as long as when you have the left side cover off , grab the ign rotor and see if it has any play ,up or down or side to side , if it does this means that your main bearings are worn , if not , do not worry and get a magnetic oilfilter cover and be done with it after you clean off the metal fuzz on the ign. rotor.

Thanks for the post!:banana: