Sign in to follow this  

03 KX125 will not shift into gear.

So I bought this 03 KX125 a month or so ago, not running. Decided to take a chance since it was only around $360 cash out of pocket to get it.

So we replaced the top end because it had no compression at all. That is all good. Then today after checking under the clutch cover we oiled it up and I asked my son to roll it and run it through the gears before we fire it up. Nothing. No up or down gears. When the bike rolls there is a clicking noise coming from the trany area as far as I can tell. The shifter has spring in it, just no action. Any help or ideas of where to look first. Please?? Thanks. By the way looked at a few older threads, but none seemed to match.

Well it sounds like the tranny is jammed, unfortunately this means splitting the case.

Get a service manual and you and your son can do this job yourself. I've done it before on a 1992 CR250R. Wasn't difficult , just time consuming.

Good luck.

That's what I was thinking and afraid of. But hey for as cheap as we got it, still a good deal I think. Yeah we have the manual and my son has already stripped his CR80BW down to the frame for painting, so this should not be that hard. Like you said just a lot of time. Thanks for you input.

So my concern is that when I get it open then how will I know what to look for? We have the tran out and ready to go, but I am a little worried about going further. But I also dont want to spend a few hundred bucks to have it gone through by our mechanic and then also pay for parts. Any ideas or help?

I would look for burrs at the edges of the teeth on all the gears,etc. Did you notice any metal shavings in the oil ? The tranny is intricate , so don't dump everything on the work table and try to put it back together again like I did. Some of the gears look exactly the same. Print out some parts diagrams to help you see how the tranny goes together.Thats what helped me a lot.

You made a better deal than I did . I bought a '97 KX125 for $700 here in Missouri. It does run and shift good but needs a top-end and clutch replacement.Lever is very hard to pull. Probable needs a new clutch hub (grooves in the fingers).

You made a better deal than I did . I bought a '97 KX125 for $700 here in Missouri. It does run and shift good but needs a top-end and clutch replacement.Lever is very hard to pull. Probable needs a new clutch hub (grooves in the fingers).

Well by the time I am done it will prob be about the same deal minus your top end. I think I may end up with about 700 or so in it. But yeah it is an 03 so I guess maybe a little better deal. :banana:

I would look for burrs at the edges of the teeth on all the gears,etc. Did you notice any metal shavings in the oil ? The tranny is intricate , so don't dump everything on the work table and try to put it back together again like I did. Some of the gears look exactly the same. Print out some parts diagrams to help you see how the tranny goes together.Thats what helped me a lot.

Thank you for this info. There were a few little tiny metal particles. Not much at all. Clutch looks great. Yeah I will print out the pages for that for sure. We have the manual on PDF but I think we need to buy the hard copy.