Sign in to follow this  

bought myself a basket case

I have been on the hunt for a project for a bit now. I stopped to see a 99 kx 250 after work, but it was beyond what I wanted to get into for morethen I wanted to pay.....so as soon as I figured it would be a few weeks before another deal hit the net......bam! decently clean bike, basket motor,give away price......sold!

so now I am wondering where is the hot ticket place for all the spinny stuff and up n' down stuff for the bikes. I am used to buying for sleds so I am getting back into bike parts. I figure I will throw crank and rod bearings at it along with seals of course. new piston.....I am considering a big bore, if I can find one that uses a piston I can get easily (unlike my d&d motored sled). if I must remain at 250 so be it. I see a new piston and a replate in my future and near as I can tell that oughta do it.

anything special to look for in the tranny aside from the obvious stuff.....any gremlins?

gonna be nice to be back on a smoker!

babbit,s online.they only do online orders but are 30 percent less than anyone else i,ve ever seen.they handle all brands.just got $1000.0 of quad parts for my friends machine.every thing went well and i think they have free shipping if the order is big enough.

Take a look at the ThumperTalk store. They carry OEM parts and will be the other online prices by 10%. So that $1,000 parts order from Babbits would have been $900 at the ThumperTalk store :thumbsup:

well project bike in several boxes is home! all in all it is pretty clean. I will doo all bearings and seals while I have it split and of course the nik got pulled when the piston broke, but thankfully everything else looks quite serviceable. found a bag of new fork seals with the deal and a actory service manual.

I am thinking I will pow coat the frame silver in case I decide to do off blue color schemes........tis gonna be fun

as soon as photo bucket quits being a pain I will post em' up. on a happier note, I found a complete graphics pack in the stuff I recieved.......yay!

I use several different places to host...try imageshack. they're pretty good

well I spent a couple hours with the project today. finished ripping it back to nothing but a roller and stripped the jug to go back for plating. looking everything over, it looks like the piston (stock yamaha) just broke at the pin boss and ended quick. I have no case damage and the crank was well within spec. I trued it up to the point where I can't even get the dial indicator to budge......I hate to say perfect.

in the begining.......

003.jpg

getting there.......

007.jpg

home brew crank runout blocks.....

009-1.jpg

well I pulled the bearings today. if anyone has a way that is easier then a blind puller......please do tell. they were pretty happy in there! here is a mid progress photo

042.jpg

So what kinda parts are you looking at getting?

I take it you are getting a piston kit from TT Store? or are you going to get it from the place doing the cylinder re-plating? (I know some people prefer getting the piston from the place doing the plating so they can match everything up)

When I got my cylinder plated on my 98 I had already bought a new Wiseco for it so I sent it with the Cylinder so they could make sure everything was all matched up bore-wise.

You need any nuts or bolts? I ordered one of those kits from RMATV for Japanese bikes. it comes with like 220 pieces of various nuts bolts and washers...worked out pretty good in my opinion.

I have a line on a jug right now, I need to see if it has been messed with at all and make sure it measures up square.....if that is the case I will use my cupon at the TT store. if the jug has been ported I will send mine in to millenium and have them plate it to a piston they can sell me.

this is giong to be a longish term build as I am just messin around in my limited free time. my plans are to build my pipe last so I should have the bike close in a month, but it will take me a bit of time to build the pipe too.....a couple weekends anyhow. I will be using all the tricks I know from snowmobile engines and see how they work in a more stable climate......should be fun.

ever mess with pinch bolts, pipe pressures, egt/afr's and power jets? this is gonna be my attempt at satisfying my needs to mess with the 2t's at a WAY lower cost then the sleds

ever mess with pinch bolts, pipe pressures, egt/afr's and power jets? this is gonna be my attempt at satisfying my needs to mess with the 2t's at a WAY lower cost then the sleds

When i was racing Karts back in the day the enduro guys would use sliper pipes that i belive would varie the stinger length. they would lengthen them out going down the straight . i wonder if the same type of pipe could be made that would work on rising gas presure to effect the pipe automaticaly as the exuast valume and presure rose? thus having a supper torque pipe down low and a top end screamer up top???the Kart guys used a cable to pull them in when they let off for the corners.then let them out slowly as the rpms rose.

spring loaded??

if it works it was my idea. if not it was yours.LOL