Sign in to follow this  

California Samoa dunes

I am planning a trip to samoa dunes in the spring and was wondering if any of you guys have been there, and I have a few questions.

1. Is tent camping allowed, and if it is how is it.

2. Do you need a flag

3. Do you need a paddle tire for this place or will a knobby be fine

Check with the BLM Arcata Field office. Never road there before, but if I remember there is camping bordering the official gate that they lock at night.

Last time I rode there Rangers were in trucks on the beach, and they enforced the Flag rule. We got a warning for not having them, and then we rode around a little bit. Its a small area but fun to ride on the beach, rare in California.

Great photo ops riding on the shoreline too.

I don't think its large enough to warrant putting on a paddle tire.

Thanks for the replies. I read somwhere that you can camp at a boat ramp that is adjacent to the riding area, just wondering if anybody has comped there before.

You are correct about the campground/parking lot. Not exactly tent-friendly but you could probably pitch your tent in some/but not all of the spots. If I remember correctly you can ride out of the camp directly into the dunes but I'm not sure about that as I camped there before I started riding. No huge steep dunes that I saw just sandy trails & beach.

No need to have camping the place is only big enough for a 1/2 day.

No need to have camping the place is only big enough for a 1/2 day.

On that note, I suggest Oregon dunes.

If u do go to Samoa, have breakfast at the Samoa Cookhouse. Its an old place where they used to feed loggers. Small museum off the restaurant.