Sign in to follow this  

what to buy?

hey guys im still running the stock chain and sprocket with my 08 x. my chain is getting all rusty and stiff, and my sprocket is looking a little rough. what chain and sprocket combo should i run with now? Should i get a different size sprocket? I strictly do trail riding, and climbing hills.

i have a crf 450 and i run 4 teeth less on my rear and 1 tooth more on the front the bike has so much torque it has no problem keeping up i use myne for trail as well and play in sand dunes!

note: you will not notice a change until you reach an 8% diffrence

Calculating the sprocket drive ratio:

(Rear tooth count) / (front tooth count) = drive ratio

Example 1:

Bike ships stock with 47 tooth rear sprocket, 15 tooth front sprocket.

47 / 15 = 3.13333

So 3.13333 is the stock sprocket ratio.

Example 2:

You buy a 50 tooth rear sprocket and a 15 tooth front sprocket for the above bike.

50 / 15 = 3.33333

So 3.33333 is the new sprocket ratio.

Example (using the numbers from the first set of equations):

Motorcycle had a 3.1333 sprocket ratio,

cycle will now have a 3.3333 sprocket ratio

((3.3333 / 3.1333) - 1) * 100) =

((1.0638) - 1) * 100) =

(.0638) * 100) = 6.38% change

so you see u will need to change at least 5 teeth to ge a noticable change weather u want more hp or speed or if you like it the way it is keep it that way. any dealer or motor sport shop can help you with this. it is usually not a good idea to change the front sprocket i would just change the rear if i was you. and if you do more trail and stuff i would take 5 teeth away for a little more speed and better fuel economy

do the math your self and tell the dealer what you want he should have the info for you but without you knowing what you got and what u want he will most likely not be able to help you. if you change any one of the 3 you halft to change them all stock or not because the chain wears into the sprockets. if you put a new chain on old sprockets the chain will rune it self in a short time. if you change the rear sprocket the teeth will wear out pre-maturely!

hey guys im still running the stock chain and sprocket with my 08 x. my chain is getting all rusty and stiff, and my sprocket is looking a little rough. what chain and sprocket combo should i run with now? Should i get a different size sprocket? I strictly do trail riding, and climbing hills.

As far as chain and sprockets go, I wouldn't touch anything besides DirtTricks (Ironman) sprockets and DID X-ring chains. Remember the 250X needs a narrow X/O ring chain and for me the DID VT2 is the one.

This 250X is my wife's bike so I'm putting a 48 on the rear and will have her try both 13 and 14 teeth on the front to see what works best. The 53T rear is ridiculous. We ride faster than slower so we'll see what works. The bike will pull a much higher gear with her on it than a big ole' ape like me.