Sign in to follow this  

YZ 250 leaking oil from hose. need help

Sorry for the newbie question I have not received my manual yet a i have a question. just got a 2001 yz 250 i started it and it was idling for a few mins then i shut it off walked a way then came back and seen a little black oil under the bike found it came from a hose the is on the left side of the piston. is this normal or a bad thing. i can take a picture if need be. i dont know what the hose is for so i could not search for it. thank you

Sorry for the newbie question I have not received my manual yet a i have a question. just got a 2001 yz 250 i started it and it was idling for a few mins then i shut it off walked a way then came back and seen a little black oil under the bike found it came from a hose the is on the left side of the piston. is this normal or a bad thing. i can take a picture if need be. i dont know what the hose is for so i could not search for it. thank you

Whenever you see a problem like the one you describe, always post pics if it's at all possible to do so.

It could easily show us where, exactly, the leak is coming from.

Just from your description, it sounds like it could be coming from your power valve area, which is not a bad thing...but without a pic, I cannot be 100% certain.

IMG00206-20100306-0029.jpg

Here is the hose it is coming from

IMG00205-20100306-0028.jpg

Here is the spot it made, that is a quarter($.25) in the middle

IMG00208-20100306-0038.jpg

Yeah that's the drain tube for the power valve (the rectangular area in front of the piston area)

it will discharge sludge like that (you will also see similar discharge from the exhaust)

If you're worried about it staining the garage floor get yourself an old coffee can to catch the spillage.

It's nothing to worry about though...

Yeah that's the drain tube for the power valve (the rectangular area in front of the piston area)

it will discharge sludge like that (you will also see similar discharge from the exhaust)

If you're worried about it staining the garage floor get yourself an old coffee can to catch the spillage.

It's nothing to worry about though...

Thank you

i just posted the same question in the yz250 area lol. im new to the 2 stroke scene aswell. im glad to hear its nothing of major importance

ha i posted the same thing about 2 months ago about my new 2 stroke..... my understanding is it won't do this once the bike is ridden and hot enough to burn off the proper amount of oil......as long as it is jetted right.....

ha i posted the same thing about 2 months ago about my new 2 stroke..... my understanding is it won't do this once the bike is ridden and hot enough to burn off the proper amount of oil......as long as it is jetted right.....

Your understanding is correct. I hope this discussion proves useful for the next newbie.