Sign in to follow this  

Over-the-boot or in-the-boot pants?

I just joined TT and recently purchased my first bike, a 2001 Honda XR250r. :thumbsup: I've been looking around for some gear and wanted to know what style of pant would be better for riding in colorado. I'll be doing mostly trail and some street. I really like the look of the OTB pants and they look comfortable but heard there are some downsides to them.

Any experiences, advice or input would help.

Thanks

The very very rare occasions I wear jeans.

bootsnjeans.jpg

And my riding pants...

bootj.jpg

Edited by Bbasso

I use both, otb for casual dual sport stuff and itb for serious off road.My boots have rubber on the inside and it helps to grip the bike when riding hard.I think the otb are more comfortable and use them for street biking also.

ITB will offer better control of the bike in more aggressive trail conditions. You'll be better prepared to grip the bike with your knees wearing ITB pants, especially with the leather patches on the inside of the knees. Your legs will slide up and down inside the OTB pants when you try to grip the tank. You'll have more action from airturbulance and snagging/tearing the pant cuffs happens with OTB. Don't forget about the pipe -you can melt the OTBs on the header.

im with most of the guys, if you are just fireroading or cowtrailing, logging roads stuff.

i would use the otb, especially if i were gonna stop at a restuant or bar during or after the ride. the otb looks more normal to wear in public.

for any real riding or serious single track and more aggressive stuff it is always itb for me.

i hate the otb with with the zip off pant/shorts thing. the zipper rubs my leg funny.

going to a bar or resturant after a ride in full gear used to be kinda wierd for me since ALL my gear is full orange fox gear, i really stand out at a biker bar full of black leather, :thumbsup:

im used to it now....its all itb for me now

I prefer ITB pants for anything that requires dirt and OTB pants for street riding. I used ITB pants for the TAT this summer too, rolling into a place dirty and dusty from the highway in moto gear you're gonna look weird anyways, so i just avoid 'respectable' places to begin with. :thumbsup:

I have both also, but with the otb, you also get some pockets so you have a place for a cell phone, wallet, etc, That i really like.

As most others have said I too have both otb and itb. But if I had to choose just one pair it would be the otb. They are more comfortable for me, and even when doing some rather aggressive off road riding I have never had a problem with them. Anything short of racing and I wear my otb's

back in the 90's there was a small company called "540"...they were trying to compete with companies like "420" and LBZ. the owner came to me and offered me 2 sets of gear, 2 jerseys and 2 pants, to wear when i raced if i would run his stickers...of course i said sure, i didnt have a gear sponsor at the time.

they were very comfortable cotton jerseys just made of a real good grade of thick cotton long sleeve shirts with their logos on them. the pants were a denim type of material with cordura or some kinda reinforced fabric on the inner knees and butt, all on a otb pant that looked and felt alot like jeans. they even had belt loops for a belt.

regular zipper and button on the fly.

they were CRAZY comfortable but i noticed my lap times dropped and my podium finishes went down. after a few weeks i realized that in those pants i just felt like i was play riding out in jeans and i wasnt pushing as hard.

i went back to itb and was back on the podium that week.

i would love a pair of those pants again for running around and play riding the ds around, but i would still wear itb 90% of the time even now.

if i had to have only one kind it would be itb and my ogio flight vest for pockets, i dont like things in leg pockets myself

I ride my dualsported ktm 520 over 10,000 miles a year in the dirt.

Last year I rode 5miles of hell, all over moab 3 different trips, timberline trail and many others in colorado, troy meadows, Rattlesnake creek, Lower rincon,

I swept the big bear hard way sections including the check 6 (pussycat hill area) and layed out Labv. All I wear are klim over the boot dakar pants. the inner leg is leather so they dont get burned, the body of the pant is ultra sturdy cordura, they have stretch panels in the crotch and around the knees, they have large zippered vents and large pockets for wallet and keys. The cuff closure is velcro so it will release in the unlikely event that you snag on the footpeg. The otb style keeps your boots cleaner and keeps junk out of your socks. I like the conservative style without the loud graphics that many of the ITB pants have. I also prefer the OTB because in my opinion the ITB pants make riders look more like jockeys.:thumbsup:

itb's here. i hate snagging the cuffs on pegs and trees and stuff. plus exposing the inside panels of the boots to the frame gives better purchase for control purposes, at least that's the way it seems to me. plus you don't get wet soggy britches quite as quickly when ripping through water

well it seems like for what ill be doing the best option would be the otb. thanks for the input, this site is awesome!!

anyone have an opinion on the fox racing access pants?

OTB brands for big (42") guys?

I have the Rocky Mtn MC Back Country OTB foul weather gear. Works great, but too warm for year 'round. I like them for everything but true off-road riding, just be careful of the length. Most OTB pants w, 38" waist (my size) seems to be built for someone around 6'-6'2". (I ain't, so they are a little long for 5'10")

Also, if they are light weight (like Fox) or very loose, they will flop around and melt on the exhaust head pipe.

i have both... i wear in the boot pants when its warm and then i wear my arc over the boot pants when its cold

I tried over the boot pants 10 years ago when they became the new rage. I hung them up for good the first day I kick started my bike and tried to put my foot down only to have the kick lever slip up my pants cuff and snag my leg. My and the bike fell over and I looked/felt like an idiot.

Snug over the boot pants or a gather at the bottom of the cuff would reduce the chances of this happening. But, in my mind it's not worth it. I don't see any benefit of the over the boot pant.

What otb pants have the shortest inseam? Im short and fat and need shorter pants..

your gonna have to hem them, or just get itb pants which are waaaayyyy better anyway