Sign in to follow this  

CCM 404 won't start.

Hello all. I have a CCM 404DS (2004) with a starting problem that is really confusing me.

• Battery is charged
  • Engine is turning over
  • Air is getting through
  • Fuel is getting through
  • There is a spark

BUT NO MATTER WHAT I DO, IT WON'T START!

This bike has the same engine and carb as a DRZ400E. It is a low mileage bike in excellent condition, being regularly serviced. Could it be an electrical problem? Could it be a problem with a part unique to CCM?

Has anyone experienced this before? Are there any CCM experts out there? I'm really struggling to find any answers! Maybe I should have bought a DRZ, there's loads about them out there!

Check sidestand switch.

To eliminate every safety gizmo ,try to start it in neutral, clutch in , and sidestand up.

Do you have compression?

Have you had the bike layed up or is it a problem that has got worse?

Is fuel getting to the cylinder?

I take it you know if you keep throttling it the pumper carb will flood the engine.

I have had a few replies already and it's really appreciated guys cheers. Here are the answers to all your questions:

Carb clean...yes

Fresh fuel...yes

Healthy spark...yes

I will definately take the side stand switch out of the equation, just incase it's that.

Matt_rufus, I think you may be onto something...the spark plug is wet with fuel when I take it out...I'll check the float as soon as I can.

Compression is good.

Bike is ridden regularly. Advice about the pumper carb is appreciated and I am beggining to think the engine is flooded, but not from over throttling.

I'll keep you all posted, thanx again.