Sign in to follow this  

Off topic news(gruesome and beautiful)

I am sorry for the off topic news, but I know a few of you know my wife and I were in process for our adoption, but the beginning of this story is a bit rough to look at so I'm adding some whitespace in case you don't want to see it.

Some of you know I've had a rough year and also it's about to get much better. To start off with, I had a serious surfing injury during hurricane bill and was lucky to survive with only 20 some fractures in my nasal bone and destroyed cartilage.

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

Pre-accident:

NormalG.jpg

Post reconstruction:

NormalPostSurgery.jpg

So, I think they did a pretty good job but I'm just glad I lived. Now for the really good news. I'm not going to be able to do the Scrub Pine because we are finally about to go pick our our first son and have to fly to Seoul Korea to get him. We've been in process to adopt him for 21 months now and have been matched with him since last September. If you're interested in following along on our journey, please visit our site where will post pictures and sometimes possibly something interesting.

Our Journey to Kai

Take care and see you at the Greenbriar!

-- gandalf

"Proud new dad, finally!"

Looks like a good recovery and the docs did a fine job. Congrats on the adoption, wishing you safe travel.

Thaigan... Holy cow, you looked like that thing from the movie Predator!! :lol: What a fantastic job they did (you'd never even know!). Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad your recovery went well.

We spoke about adoption awhile back. Just wanted to say that I'm happy to hear all your plans have gone through ~ Congrats to all THREE of you! You're about to embark on the greatest journey and ride of your life. There is nothing grander than being a parent. My adopted son in now 8... He's the light of MY life! Enjoy every minute... they grow up fast!!

God Bless all of you and wishes for a safe journey home!! I'll check out your website soon. :banana:

Um, I'm really really glad you are ok. But did I read this correctly??

"I had a serious surfing injury during hurricane bill "

Er, are you KIDDING ME???? Ok, I'm assuming I'm wrong here but does that mean your were surfing the big waves while the hurricane was coming in??? :banana:

Ok, congrats on the kids and best wishes for your future. I hope you'll tone down the extreme sports (if that's really what you were doing) so you can be around for your new little bundle of joy.

Congrats!!!!! My wife and I have adopted also and he is awesome!! We adopted a little boy from near by. It also took us 2 years to get him adopted. Good luck on your trip!!

congrats and congrats. the surgery looks great and the best news is you're a daddy!

Thanks everyone!

mxdirtdiva, I've been meaning to get in touch with you directly to make sure you got the news about our adoption finally happening. Thanks again for sharing your story with me awhile back!

DRZCatostrophe, yes, surfing the waves of hurricane Bill. It isn't as crazy as it sounds. That is when the good waves come in to NJ. To be clear, the hurricane was in the atlantic and didn't actually hit our shores. It came up the coast and just sent beautiful waves. I did decide then though that I am not going to surf big waves any more unless I find a surf helmet I am comfortable with. I've been surfing almost 20 years and this really is a freak accident. I've surfed NJ, Cape Hatteras and Costa Rica and definitely know what I am doing. That said, surfing isn't really a priority...my family is though I do plan to surf small stuff now and then so I can teach my son some day. We've been home from our trip to Korea for only a few days and I'm just looking forward to a good night's sleep and maybe taking my son to the park tomorrow for his first ride on a swingset.